cited for leaving the scene of an accident property damage only, unattended vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpeelor

I was in a grocery store parking lot on 2/2/08 (Super Bowl Sunday). It was very crowded. I bumped a car at the end of the parking lot row but could not pull in next to the car as other cars were entering and leaving spaces in that row. I went around the row and came back and then pulled in just beyond the car I bumped. I got out and looked at the car and saw no damage. the car was very dirty but there were no dents and nothing looked broken. Because of that, I did not leave my contact info; I went and parked and went grocery shopping. There was a witness who contacted the police. After talking to the police the next day, I received a citation for damage to an unattended vehicle and leaving the scene of an accident. I had a hearing with a magistrate, was found guilty and paid the fine. At the hearing, I found out that the car had $600 in paint damages which my insurance company paid.
I should have left my contact information and would have done so if I had seen any damage to the car. Does my action constitute leaving the scene? I have been assessed four points on my license and am trying to decide if I should appeal the magistrate's decision. I really can't afford to pay any more than the fine I've already paid and am afaid I might not win the appeal.
Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back