ChildSupport- when 18 in college and living with friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatherOfFour

I am father of four. Oldest started college last year and lived with me until 3 months prior to her 18th birthday and moved with Mom. Mom did not inform me that she moved out just after moving in with her as child suppourt would .

Question. My 18 year old daugher, now in college and living with friends supporting herself gets NO money from Mom but I pay mom over 700 a month for her to live there. The order states when child turns 18, we return for child support modification. We have submitted a OSC and my ex is responding to it and the Court said they would rule in early March. Do I still need to pay util then ? Today is January. I would enjoy three months not paying that extra to her.. Should I wait.

I was told the law is if she is 18 and not living with us or her, and working and paying her own way through college, I should not need to pay.. Do I need to wait for the Court to read her response..before I stop paying

Unless your decree says otherwise, you can usually stop paying once they are 18. If your decree says you are to pay as long as she is a full time student, then you need to pay.

If she is 18 and your decree does not specifically state you must continue paying through college, you can probably stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back