child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerald

I live in Pennsylvania and my wife and I are contemplating divorce. We have two small children and my question is simply this. Can my wife relocate to Iowa with my kids without my consent should we divorce? Can you provide any insight into this? What should I expect to happen with regards to child support payments in terms of an average monthly note? Thanks.

Originally posted by gerald:
I live in Pennsylvania and my wife and I are contemplating divorce. We have two small children and my question is simply this. Can my wife relocate to Iowa with my kids without my consent should we divorce? Can you provide any insight into this? What should I expect to happen with regards to child support payments in terms of an average monthly note? Thanks.
My understanding is that child support payments are dependent upon many factors such as the income of the receiving spouse, relative levels of income, etc. and difficult to quantify in terms of actual numbers without more information. It is also my understanding that relocation might also be governed by the terms of divorce.

Will your wife have primary physical custody? If so, from my husband's experience dealing with the Domestic Relations office, she can do anything she wants...move, deny visitation even with a court ordered visitation schedule, etc.

She cannot just get up and move. If she moves before anything is filed, then you should file an ask for custody or the children to be returned. If she files for divorce where you are now, she would need to seek permission from the courts to relocate. You can fight it but if you allow her to move, I wouls be sure to make a VERY specific visitation schedule and either aso for a CS reduction to pay for travel expenses for visitation, or have her provide all transportation.

You have rights as a dad and even if she is given custody, she cannot do whatever she wants.

You really should see an attorney. You are free to file for divorce in the meantime and also ask for custody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back