1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Child support services

Discussion in 'Other Family Law Matters' started by Fr33usa, Dec 5, 2016.

  1. Fr33usa

    Fr33usa Law Topic Starter Guest

    I'm 38 now but when I was 19 my kids we're taken from me cause of marijuana and the state award my x mother-in-law custody ..so now the law in California marijuana is legal in January ...I have missed raising my kids and they have suspended my license over and over and over again making hard to keep a job ..to make me lose 5 cars and to have tickets for driving without a license that have financial cost ..my question is now that marijuana is legal can I do anything about child support reclaiming my license and charging me annually a % of what I still owe ...I just want them to leave me alone and not have control over my license ...my daughters love me and I do support them emotionally and financially when I can..my oldest is in college studying to be a neurosurgeon..so I need to support her financially more then ever but they keep taking my license
  2. mightymoose

    mightymoose Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    The new law legalizing marijuana will not undo the past actions.
    When it was illegal you apparently broke the law.
    Your failure to pay support led to license suspensions and you continued to drive. Only you are responsible for that and it has nothing to do with marijuana.
    You will have to find a way to abide by the rules to keep your license.
    You can try and negotiate a more affordable payment plan for what you owe. It is up to you to initiate that contact and make it happen.
    army judge likes this.
  3. ElleMD

    ElleMD Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    You have repeatedly broken multiple laws and court orders. That is on you. Making marijuana use legal under state law does not change your lack of support, or fines you incurred in the past. It also does not mean you can not get in trouble for using going forward. Alcohol is legal but you certainly can get in a world of trouble drinking and driving.
  4. leslie82

    leslie82 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    They don't just randomly suspend a driver's license. You had to have broken the law - repeatedly. No one made you lose your job or your cars. You chose to drove without a license so you got cited.

    Do what you're supposed to do in order to get your license back. Pay your child support. Stop doing illegal drugs. Stop breaking the law. If you stop breaking the law you won't get tickets. You won't lose your license.

Share This Page