child support questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenmonnett

I was recently ordered to pay child support by the presiding judge in my divorce case. My x-wife makes twice(literally!) as much money as I do and she was not requesting that I pay her support in our settlement. I did pay her support when we first separated, but when she obtained a very high paying job, she no longer needed ,or wanted for that matter, my money. It has remained that way for the past two years. However, the judge ordered it anyway! My x-wife makes 3,500 per month. I make 1,400 a month. And per the judge's order, I have to pay $312 a month child support. Furthermore, it's going to be taken from my wages. During the court proceedings there was zero mention of wage garnishment. My questions are...Does the judge have the power to make such an order against BOTH parties wishes? Is it standard procedure that it automatically be taken from my wages? And can I appeal the order? If so..How?

Last edited:
She must have filed for support as support can be waived if both parties agree. It cannot be waived if she is requesting any sort of gov't assistance.

$312/mo support is actually not that much, it might be alot to you but as a non custodial parent, generally you pay some support. Who is covering the child on medical? Who claims the child on taxes?

You might want to google your states guidelines to see what you should be paying and if a parenting time discount is given, but 312/mo does not seem out of the ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back