child support from unemployed trust fund dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcintyre

I am currently 7 months pregnant and reside in Sarasota, Fl.

The father of the baby has several degrees but has never had to work due to being supported by his wealthy family. He did not want me to follow through with the pregnancy and currently we are not on speaking terms. I am concerned how I will be able to move forward with ensuring that he is appropriately assessed for child support. I am aware that the court may be able to impute child support based on his ability to earn income, as well as assessing his assets. Although I earn a decent living, I cannot afford to secure legal counsel at this time, but need to ensure that I proceed appropriately to have child support assessed.

Any advice is greatly welcome.

His assets are not taken into consideration. An income will likely be used on what he is capable of making. This is hoping he will pay the support once it is assigned.

go to the state child support agency in your state and fill out the form give them any iformation they might need on the father and they will deal with your case at no charge from hellokitty 143;)

I live in FL also. If you go through your local Child Support Enforcement Office, they will help you. A hearing will be scheduled and the Dept. of Revenue attorney will represent you. This way he pays his support directly to the state and they will, in turn, pay you. If he is more than 30 days overdue and investigation begins immediately. First, he will lose his drivers license. Further steps will be taken and he can eventually be jailed if he does not pay. So, YOU GO GIRL!! Your baby deserves to be treated fairly.
I am not an attorney. I am basing this on my own experiences.

Gee, Kathleen, it sure hasn't been like that here in Ohio. In our county, anyway. My son's exgf didn't make a payment for 2 YEARS. It's been 5 years since it was ordered, she may have worked a total of 6 months in that time. Still has her license. Is on a re-suspended sentence (she did serve a month in 2006). Over 14 grand in arrears. I looked up a few cases, and it seems to be typical - male or female.

I hope the poster has better luck.

Sorry to hear about your son. I know my child's father did have his license revolked after no payment for only 30 days. When the DOR gets involved I guess they mean business. Sometimes FL is a little backward, but they seemed to have gotten this right.

Trust me, no one in CA is going to jail either. My ex is about 10k in arrears and no one is even touching him. He's even in the military (not overseas).

So sorry to hear about your deadbeat dad. I'm so surprised that you can't get help from Child Support Enforcement or the Dept of Revenue. Have you tried going through the military? They should be able to garnish his wages. Best of luck to you!!

I live in FL also. If you go through your local Child Support Enforcement Office, they will help you. A hearing will be scheduled and the Dept. of Revenue attorney will represent you. This way he pays his support directly to the state and they will, in turn, pay you. If he is more than 30 days overdue and investigation begins immediately. First, he will lose his drivers license. Further steps will be taken and he can eventually be jailed if he does not pay. So, YOU GO GIRL!! Your baby deserves to be treated fairly.
I am not an attorney. I am basing this on my own experiences.
Hello Kathleng:

The only issue I disagree with in your post is, "Further steps will be taken and he can eventually be jailed if he does not pay." Jailing a child support delinquent noncustodial parent does not provide money to the custodial parent or their child, and only adds to the jailed parent's arrears. Once released, the jailed parent has problems finding a job after his or her backgraound is checked in the pre-employment matrix.

Please tell me why you consider jail as an option for paying child support.

Peace,

famous

Hello Kathleng:

The only issue I disagree with in your post is, "Further steps will be taken and he can eventually be jailed if he does not pay." Jailing a child support delinquent noncustodial parent does not provide money to the custodial parent or their child, and only adds to the jailed parent's arrears. Once released, the jailed parent has problems finding a job after his or her backgraound is checked in the pre-employment matrix.

Please tell me why you consider jail as an option for paying child support.

Peace,

famous

Kathleen did not say that she considers it an option. She stated that the state of Florida considers it a suitable consequence for refusing to pay support.

And she posted that almost 3 weeks ago in a thread that is almost 3 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back