Child support and leaving the country

Status
Not open for further replies.

austex

I was married for 19 years divorced and have been re-married for 3 years. I have been paying $700 per month child support for my son since my first marriage ended. My ex wife filled my sons head full of garbage (he is now 11) so I dont get to see him alot. My new wife is totally home sick so we plan on moving to New Zealand where she is from so she can go back to her family and children. She has 2 kids 11 and 15 that her ex wouldnt allow to come and move to the USA but he is going to give her full custody when we return. My ? is what will happen to my child support. I will be quitting my job and will be unemployed for hopefully a short amount of time and I know my new employment will not be paid as high as what I am earning now. I briefly spoke to one lawyer and they told me that I will still have to pay the same amount of child support as I voluntarily gave up my job. Is that correct? I do not mind paying child support but I think it should be based on the amount that I am earning. My ex wife works full time and earns really good money but apparently that doesnt matter to the courts.
Any advice appreciated.

Child support is based on your job and you can file for a reduction or change if you have a change in circumstances. If you don't have a job they figure the child support at you making minimum wage. Usually though, the other side can argue that you are capable of making a certain amount and the child support should be the same. You never know how a judge will decide. You may have to wait to do that until you move and have another job in the other country. You might have a better chance if you can show that you do have a job and it doesn't pay as much.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. As I said before I have no problem with paying child support but I was worried about taking a lowerpaying job (with the $ value lower than it is here in the USA) and then still having to pay the same amount in CS. Especially when the lawyer told me I would be up for the same amount if I quit my job and wasnt laid off. I will go and see another lawyer before I leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back