child not living at home anymore....

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejenski11

I have 3 children with my ex-wife. 19...17 and 15 years of age. Even though my 19 year old moved out of his mothers home at the age of 17 (he moved in with his grandparents) I was still ordered to pay my ex the child support...she gave none to the grandparents that finished raising him. Now I am told my-ex has given my 17 year old daughter to move out with a friend into their own apartment. Am I going to be told again that I will have to continue paying my ex for her as well ? I DO NOT agree with my exes choices in this matter. I am assuming the answer to this is yes. I do not think this is fair and I know my ex will not be helping my daughter with living expenses out of her child support. Is there anything I can do ???

What do your current orders actually state - word for word (minus names please) - about support?

Did you ever file to modify when your son left home?

If the ex is not exercising her custodial rights, you may exercise yours. Bring this matter before the court and any juveniles will most likely either be directed to remain with the mother or will be transferred to your custody. You are right- if she is not supporting the kids, you should not be paying her... however you are obligated to pay her as long as the current order is valid. It is up to you to start proceeding to change it.

If the ex is not exercising her custodial rights, you may exercise yours. Bring this matter before the court and any juveniles will most likely either be directed to remain with the mother or will be transferred to your custody. You are right- if she is not supporting the kids, you should not be paying her... however you are obligated to pay her as long as the current order is valid. It is up to you to start proceeding to change it.

This likely wouldn't be fixed before the 17 year old "ages out".

yes, I did. I even had proof of his address, showing he hadnt lived with her(The ex) for the past year. Judge said it didnt matter. Money is do be sent to the mother. Does not make any sense to me.

This likely wouldn't be fixed before the 17 year old "ages out".

I think it would be quite easy for dad to get the girl from the grandmother since grandma has no custodial rights.
Yes, it would time out in the court, but in the mean time daughter would be either with mom or dad.... or just run away...

yes, I did. I even had proof of his address, showing he hadnt lived with her(The ex) for the past year. Judge said it didnt matter. Money is do be sent to the mother. Does not make any sense to me.

It is probably just a matter of the questions you are asking. You should be looking at custody, not child support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back