Child "Kicked Out" of Daycare

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEDADDY

We are in dilemma, We approached our daycare provider (private home) in December that we were considering moving our daughter to a Daycare Center in JUNE that provided more of a class room environment but we also wanted make sure that we gave our provider ample notice. She agreed that our daughter could stay with her until her spot at the new center became available. Here's the dilemma, yesterday our current provider informed us that she was approached by a family with 2 kids that would be a "great fit" for her day care, but becasue of State laws (CT), she would need to "let our daughter go" to accomodate the new family coming in in 2 weeks. Her justifications was, "she is leaving in June anyway." Can she legally do this??? And could I persue her for the cost of a child care center that would bridge the gap between now and when our spot becomes available at our ceneter in June?? Thanks in advance.

What does your agreement with her say on how much notice you have to give her? She probably only has to abide by the same requirement. My home day care provider requires a 2 week notice. 2 weeks is probably sufficient so honestly, I would start looking around for someone else. What she is doing is unethical because it is not giving you a whole lot of notice, plus the child will have to put put in another daycare until June where she will be moved again, which is somewhat disruptive. But it does not mean you have a civil case against her. It is your choice if you want to put the child in a more expensive daycare, probably not realistic to expect her to pay the difference.

Yes state laws do have a limit of how many kids she can watch. Her business practices are questionable but probably nothing you can do civilly.

Q: Can she legally do this??? And could I persue her for the cost of a child care center that would bridge the gap between now and when our spot becomes available at our ceneter in June??

A: Yes and no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back