Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks check fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

january24

My stepson had to have mouth surgery because of an infection. The infection was spreading to his neck and if it would have spreaded to his brain and head he would have died. So we had to make sure he had the surgery. We do not have insurance so it was very hard for anyone to do the surgery. Not even hospitals would help us. So finally Institute of Facial Surgery did the surgery on 3/14/09 for $1400.00 and we had to have the money the day he went in for surgery. The nurse even said if he that my stepson was like a "ticking time bomb". My mom gave me $475.00 and the remaining of the $925.00 my husband wrote a check even though we didn't have the money in the account to cover it. Also in the mean time my husband and I lost our jobs and we do have other children as well. Well they will not do a payment plan at all. They say its out of their hands. I received a certified letter stating that if I don't pay the money within 15 days they were going to take criminal action. I'm scared and don't know what to do from here and what is going to happen to me. I don't want to and can't go to jail. Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!

How is your son?

First, who is stating they are going to take criminal action? The bank, or the surgeon?
Writing a bad check on purpose is bad, but it is not really "check fraud" in the same way that, say, forging checks, or counterfeiting checks is. Given your situation I doubt you would be put in jail; more likely, you will have your account closed and a civil judgment for the amount of the balance due plus 20% annual interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back