Che Guevara Illustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

somthinkelse

Hi I'm working on a series of illustrations of the following people Che Guevara, John Lennon, Starlin. The illustrations are made up from a companys logo shape, used hundreds of time to create the image and will be printing in adverts to promote events for this company.

Where do I stand with copyright as the illustrations will clearly have been created by me but from well known photographs of these people. Che Guevara is a good example as that image is used on t-shirts etc all over the world. Another would be the famous artwork be Andy Warhol of Marilyn Monroe.

So my illustrations but based on well known photographs.

Thanks

Stephen

You may want to consult with a copyright attorney before you do anything. You are dealing with the likelihood of famous people who have their images managed by their heirs and by private individual and companies. You will probably need to obtain permission to use anything related to their image and, of course, pay royalty fees. At least you were smart to ask before you did it. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
...and will be printing in adverts to promote events for this company... So my illustrations but based on well known photographs.
Especially if there is a strong commercial motive, you are treading in an area known as "derivative works" where the rights to the derivative flow from who owns the underlying work. You are treading in challenging waters and definitely need a good, full review of what you are trying to do. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back