Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication charges 2c:33-2a(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimberlyjf28

I was charged with 2c:33-2a(2) and Im going to school for criminal justice and I have no record until this.

I was walking to a house from a bar downshore in NJ and I couldn't walk straight and two police officers stopped and took me to jail, they did not put me in a holding cell cause there were too many other people that were so much worse then me, like banging their heads on the cells. After 2 hours that no one picked me up so the police officer took me back to the house. When the police took me to the police department I was two blocks away from the house, why couldn't they just taken me home then instead of taking me to jail and filing a summons and charging with this? Also at the police department they told me that I can get this downgraded and not have a record.

When I went to court, I waited on line to talk to the prosecutor and the Judge called out 30 people and I was one of them, when he called my name He said how do you plea and I said guilty with an explanantion and would like to speak to the prosecutor, the Judge said I will tell you like I told the person before you, I will give you another date and you then can speak to the prosecutor. The Judge asked me if I was going to get a lawyer and I said not sure, he said if you are please have the attorney call us.
I left and Im so confused why I could not settle it then, I live an hour and half away, and never have seen a court runned like this.

Please advise me what to do so that this can me down graded so that I have no record for my future. Otherwise I will not be able to get a government job.

Thank you for any information you can give me on this!!

Kimberly

For reference, there is no such plea as guilty, I want to negotiate. The judge was correct in assigning a continuance to protect OP's confusion with the charges. You don't go to court and advise them how you expect them to run the court. If you plead guilty, the judge will usually allow you to explain if you wish. This type of thing is sometimes referred to as No Contest. Otherwise, you plead not guilty and the court sets a trial date. It is usually a good idea to research the potential outcome of a guilty plea, before going to court alone.

Ditto. If you enter a guilty plea you don't then get to have it reduced to something less. You could have really gotten hosed by doing that. It seems maybe the judge was looking out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back