Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Charged with fraud?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aviana

So, to be absolutely honest right at the beginning: I really screwed up.

I've been working for a pretty nice company for the last 8 months and their times are as flexible as it gets. So I could either work at the office or work from home, which I did a couple of times. I had co-workers AND my boss as well telling "it's not so bad if you slack off the odd hour or two", so I didn't always take it seriously when working at home as there's a lot of things distracting me etc pp. So the last 2 weeks however I almost ONLY worked from home as I'm moving out of my flat and had to prepare looooads of things and so on. So I made a great plan for the last 2 weeks for work and didn't really achieve much in the end. I forgot to change the times on the sheet where we have to put our working times, so it looked like I've been working a lot. So today when I went to the office again my boss told me as I didn't change it he would have to charge me with financial fraud (even after repeatedly telling I would change the last 2 weeks as I haven't had the time he didn't believe me, which is understandable in a way, as it's really reeeeally stupid) - now I'm sort of f-ed. He said he would go through all the hours I have done the past 8 months and if he'd only find one other incident (ha ha, which is there obviously as I thought they don't take it that seriously) he'd kick me and charge me.

Well, the whole situation is of course my stupid fault and I cannot and will not talk myself out of it. I have, however, been thinking about writing my boss a mail (he said "if you have anything more to say, write me a mail til next Wednesday") as I thought he might just kick me and want the money back that I "stole" but not charge me with anything... do you think that's a good idea? Should I write him the true (my) version of the story or just simply give in and say it's all my fault? I really don't want to bother with court and rebel against it, I just want the most peaceful solution there is that doesn't get me charged... that would be really really really bloody awful...

Glad for any comment and sorry for having to share this STUPID thing with ya. I really regret this already, can't believe I got into such big trouble...:(

This is a legal forum for U.S. law, not international. Yet, since I'm not an attorney that probably doesn't matter much!

Though your employer thinks you "stole" the time and wants the money back, there is no fraud on your part if there was no intent to steal. The employer created an environment of lackadaisical timekeeping. He is at fault, not you. If he wasn't satisfied with your service by working at home, then he should have not allowed it.

With that said, it really is up to your decision as to what to do. If you refuse his bullying you risk being fired. If you accept his bullying, you succumb to working in a very poor environment.

My best advice is to find new employment as soon as you can.

As far a financial fraud - ridiculous - he is only trying to scare you. Apologize for the unintentional error on the most recent timesheet and say no more. Say NOTHING regarding prior timesheets.

OP, never admit to anything.

If your conscience bothers you, consult a priest, a minister, a shaman, the holy tree, a blessed iguana, or whatever religious symbol or artifact you worship.

But, never, ever, ever bare your soul and admit anything to another human being.

They'll hold it against you, and all will not be forgiven.

When you admit something, you usually end up in deep legal trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back