Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Charged Petty Theft CPC 488 (a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

momintrouble

I went to Kohls on Dec 10, 2008 and paid for the stuff I wanted to buy. Unfortunately, I forgot to remove earrings and necklace that I did not want (~$100).

The police was called to the scene and they gave me a citation. I have been asked to appear for booking and subsequently a court date.

I have a completely clean record until now.

Questions:

(i) What are my options?
(ii) What does booking mean? Will I be put in jail?
(iii) Since I can appear in the court on or before Feb 19, '09 - I want to go to the court sooner so that I can put these things behind me and continue my life normally.

Any help is appreciated.

i) What are my options?
Talking to a criminal defsnse Lawyer should be first
No
(iii) Since I can appear in the court on or before Feb 19, '09 - I want to go to the court sooner so that I can put these things behind me and continue my life normally.
After you talk to a Lawyer and discuss defense options

To clarify, this means that you must appear at the jail (or other specified location) for fingerprints and photographs prior to your court hearing. It does not mean that you will go to jail, only that you must be processed. If you fail to do this, then the judge may remand you to custody at your hearing or simply order you to proceed to booking before your case can be heard. The court or the citation should be abl to tell you where you might go to accomplish this.

That's fine, but you will have to make sure that the matter has been filed. You may have to call the court and see if it is possible to arrange an earlier arraignment.

- Carl

Some attorney's are advising me not to rush for a booking process as once it is done it shows up on my records and it is not good for me as in future it may jeopardise getting a new employment. Is that true?

Some attorney's are advising me not to rush for a booking process as once it is done it shows up on my records and it is not good for me as in future it may jeopardise getting a new employment. Is that true?
You have to do it before court or they just might decide to toss you in the clink.

Your case cannot be heard until you DO the booking process.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back