Character defimation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeden

I recently have been asked to resign as coach of a varsity sport. I'm a teacher and I'm yet to be tenured so my job security as a teacher is limited until I receive tunure.
This season as head coach was my first and I had one simple complaint at the beginning of the year, which was adressed by my athletic director, and had no complaints from that point on. After the season, my assistants and I had wished we had won more games, but thought the season went smooth.
Well, shortly after the end of the season, I found out a couple of the parents had it in for me and made it a point to get me fired. I was told about it by my Principal and Athletic Director and was told not to worry that as far as they were concerned I did a good job and a couple of parents weren't going to cause me to lose my job. Well they kept going on with it and out of the blue, I was given some papers that these parents had submitted to the Superintendent of the schools. They were accusations that stated a number of things I did throughout the season. Now these accusations are ridiculous.
For instance: I didn't let a girl use the bathroom when she had blood running down her leg. I couldn't remember ever telling a girl that she couldn't use the restroom and I even asked this girl if I had ever not let her go to the bathroom, and just like I thought, she said I always let her.
Other scenarios include things that I did but suggested that I didn't have a reason for any of it. Like...
Making a girl run for no reason. Plenty of reasons here...
I have plenty more I could refer to.
Anyway, after being told not to sweat it by my bosses, my principal comes in to my room and tells me that the Superintendent expects my resignation and gives me no explanation as to why. The next day I had talked to no one but my AD about it (and he was pissed about it too) but one of the parents girl already knew and was talking about it to other players.
Now if I get fired ( basically it's what is happening) then no coaches job is safe if a couple of parents don't like them. They can be fired for any reason, even made up ones. I'm not tenured so if I tell them that I'm not resigning, then they could just fire me as a teacher and that would solve the coaching issue for them.
Now this resigning is like admitting guilt. Students ask questions and they consider it as getting fired. I lose student and peer respect and that ultimately affects my work and my ability to be an effective teacher. Thanks for any help I can get.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem and it is likely not uncommon in a school. A defamation case would seem difficult because whom are your accusers? It seems that it is the children. It is possible the parents might be behind this but it might be difficult to bring this out in the open.

If you aren't tenured then it is likely that you are on an "at will" basis and there isn't much you can do to compel the school to keep your job. I'm not sure if this is a public school and whethere there is some other regulation that may assist you with more job security.

It would seem that there might be issues of unemployment compensation if you resign. You may want to formally dispute the accusations in writing. Why did the principal want your resignation as opposed to terminating your relationship? I'd want to know the answer to that question. I'd also keep copies of all the complaints. I'm not sure that this is a case that you would likely fund (I think it likely not be a contingency type case as the issue of defamation does not seem to be clear) but you probably want more information if you can get it from your principal...

Originally posted by jeden
I recently have been asked to resign as coach of a varsity sport. I'm a teacher and I'm yet to be tenured so my job security as a teacher is limited until I receive tunure.
This season as head coach was my first and I had one simple complaint at the beginning of the year, which was adressed by my athletic director, and had no complaints from that point on. After the season, my assistants and I had wished we had won more games, but thought the season went smooth.
Well, shortly after the end of the season, I found out a couple of the parents had it in for me and made it a point to get me fired. I was told about it by my Principal and Athletic Director and was told not to worry that as far as they were concerned I did a good job and a couple of parents weren't going to cause me to lose my job. Well they kept going on with it and out of the blue, I was given some papers that these parents had submitted to the Superintendent of the schools. They were accusations that stated a number of things I did throughout the season. Now these accusations are ridiculous.
For instance: I didn't let a girl use the bathroom when she had blood running down her leg. I couldn't remember ever telling a girl that she couldn't use the restroom and I even asked this girl if I had ever not let her go to the bathroom, and just like I thought, she said I always let her.
Other scenarios include things that I did but suggested that I didn't have a reason for any of it. Like...
Making a girl run for no reason. Plenty of reasons here...
I have plenty more I could refer to.
Anyway, after being told not to sweat it by my bosses, my principal comes in to my room and tells me that the Superintendent expects my resignation and gives me no explanation as to why. The next day I had talked to no one but my AD about it (and he was pissed about it too) but one of the parents girl already knew and was talking about it to other players.
Now if I get fired ( basically it's what is happening) then no coaches job is safe if a couple of parents don't like them. They can be fired for any reason, even made up ones. I'm not tenured so if I tell them that I'm not resigning, then they could just fire me as a teacher and that would solve the coaching issue for them.
Now this resigning is like admitting guilt. Students ask questions and they consider it as getting fired. I lose student and peer respect and that ultimately affects my work and my ability to be an effective teacher. Thanks for any help I can get.

It's not the kids but the parents that are accusing me of these things. You're right I do need to get an explanation to the reasoning behind me having to resign.

The reasoning I got was given by my principal as...After a discsussion with my assistant coach he felt it would be best if I'd resign. I'm really good friends with my assistant and he said that was a load of crap. Also, not all these allegations were made by the players but there parents too. One allegation that was made by a player was; That I didn't allow a girl use the bathroom when there was blood running down her leg. Now, I went to that particular girl and asked her if I ever not let her use the bathroom and she said, "Coach Eden, you always let people go". The players besides the two accussers no and told the administration that allegations like this were false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back