Change of Child Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

janie45

What is the name of your state? Province: Ontario, CANADA
I have 2 children, 16 & 18 of which I have full custody.
There is a child support order currently in effect of which my ex-spouse's wages are garnished. My daughter, approximately 1 1/2 years ago, decided to go and live with her father. I have been mailing my ex back 1/2 of the support payment to compensate for this. My son still resides with me. My son had finished highschool back in June 2003 and couldn't decide what path to take, regarding his upper education at that time. He has just recently enrolled in a 3 year program in college which starts this May 2004. My ex wanted to child support for our son to cease when he immediately finished highschool even though the court order for child support did not stipulate when the cut off period would be. We have since made a verbal agreement to stop the child support altogether as my ex has one child residing at his home address and I have one child residing at my address. I stopped the child support from being garnished from my ex's wages and immediately received a petition from his lawyer stating that he had filed for child support for my daughter.
I have since contacted the family responsibilty office to commence with the child support payments as the court order is still in effect.
My ex's lawyer is now threatening me with court action if I do not stop the child support payments being garnished from my ex's wages. My question is, shouldn't my ex be paying child support for my son up until he finishes college even though it took my son since last June to decide which path to take.
I realize that I will have to pay my ex child support for my daughter from this point on as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back