1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Change from widow's benefits

Discussion in 'Social Security, Disability & Health' started by southgal6, Jul 9, 2019.

  1. southgal6

    southgal6 Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    South Carolina
    I recently became eligible to receive widow benefits from my 2nd husband. However, once I reach full retirement age, I would be able to receive a substantially higher amount from my still living ex-husband (married 16 years.) If I choose Widow's benefits now, can I later change to the Divorced Spouse? I've searched the official site, and have found that I can change to my own, but cannot find this answer. I will be going to the local office soon, so if yes, please let me know where to look for the information to show them if necessary.
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    If a person is eligible for SS spousal payments, SS awards the amount based upon which benefit pays the recipient more moolah.

    If Egbert was married to Myrtle and then Ethel, and would receive $400 a month via Myrtle, but $900 a month via Ethel, Egbert would be awarded $900 a month from his marriage to Ethel.

    I suggest you search the Social Security website for a more detailed explanation applicable to your situation.

    You can call SS, or even visit a local office to see which spousal benefit is appropriate for you.

Share This Page