Central 'warehouse' for Lien and Debt collection?

c. rex

Jurisdiction
Iowa
Hello. My credit is excellent and I have no debts. Unfortunately, I have a cousin with almost an exact full name as me (my middle name is Richard, his is Richmond). And unfortunately, this cousin has tones of bad debt, judgements and liens against him from Iowa all the way to California

As you can expect, i receive quite a bit of correspondence and have to explain this situation to the many debt collectors that call.

One thing just happened - due to a settlement of an Estate, my cousin has been awarded almost $300,000 inheritance.

Is there some central warehouse (sorry, couldn't think of a better name), where I can submit my cousins information and that fact that he's inherited a lot of money...so that all of holders of his judgements liens and debts can now be notified and paid off?

As you can guess, I'm tired of all of the calls, letters and emails...

Letters and emails you can trash. Calls you can ignore or block. You can say "not me" and hang up without getting into discussion or you can say "That's my cousin, he just inherited $300,000. Here's his address and phone number. Good bye" click. You can also respond to the letters and emails that way.

Ok...well, how do all of these debt collectors and lien holders get information (inadvertently mine)? All independent research?

Ok...well, how do all of these debt collectors and lien holders get information (inadvertently mine)? All independent research?
"Independent research", while accurate, sounds much more lofty than the reality. They simply search for the name in a database...it's likely automated.

How you ask?

Its so easy, even a caveman could do it.

I just received a phone call from one of these collectors. When I told them where they can put their $$$ request at, the guy on the phone said "I got your mama here"....I replied "That's your problem, pal"

Sure, I can ignore all of these letters, emails and calls BUT...now my residential address must be in some "deadbeat' data base....speaking of Geico, I called them to apply for insurance on a new boat. Their info has my physical address listed under my deadbeat cousin's name and to obtain insurance, I have to gather up and send a bunch of paperwork to "prove" i'm not J____RICHMOND M______

You folks probably think this is funny. NOT funny

I just received a phone call from one of these collectors. When I told them where they can put their $$$ request at, the guy on the phone said "I got your mama here"....I replied "That's your problem, pal"

Sure, I can ignore all of these letters, emails and calls BUT...now my residential address must be in some "deadbeat' data base....speaking of Geico, I called them to apply for insurance on a new boat. Their info has my physical address listed under my deadbeat cousin's name and to obtain insurance, I have to gather up and send a bunch of paperwork to "prove" i'm not J____RICHMOND M______

You folks probably think this is funny. NOT funny

Speaking for myself, I don't believe it's funny, except to say that it's sometimes better to laugh about something than it is to cry about it. Is it fair to you? No, it's not. But we are sometimes presented with unfair situations through no fault of our own. It's just the human condition.

I would suggest that you come up with a short "blurb" that you either have printed next to your phone or that you simply memorize. Something like "I'm sorry, but the person you are looking for is my cousin and his phone # is xxx-xxx-xxxx". You can either then hang up, or continue a conversation to provide more information, if you so desire.

Thanks, Zigner.

One of my 'fave' harassment calls comes from a guy who, when I answer the phone whispers 3 times "Deadbeat" - "Deadbeat" - "Deadbeat" then the same ole' recorded voice, a very 'nice' sounding gentleman says "please call us immediately so that we can work with you to pay your debts"

I'd love to go on a berserk rampage and go postal on every crummy boiler room basement where these scuz bag bill collectors hide

Thanks, Zigner.

One of my 'fave' harassment calls comes from a guy who, when I answer the phone whispers 3 times "Deadbeat" - "Deadbeat" - "Deadbeat" then the same ole' recorded voice, a very 'nice' sounding gentleman says "please call us immediately so that we can work with you to pay your debts"

I'd love to go on a berserk rampage and go postal on every crummy boiler room basement where these scuz bag bill collectors hide

Have you considered changing your number to an unlisted number?

The debt collectors are technically breaking the law, however, you'll find the law protects the DEADBEAT not the innocent bystander.

what the H_ _ _????? You are not "Richmond"

Zigner, why would your report entire thread to be removed? Because of one troll post?

Ok, Mr. "Richmond", if it's really you, what exactly happened to the boat at Lake Hurst on Aug 12, 1998?

It's unfortunate that the new arrival is going to be permanently leaving. I'm enjoying watching the child thrash around.

First of all, the callers harassing and hounding YOU are using the telephone that you pay for to do so.

I suggest you investigate the various types of blocking technology available to STOP these demons dead on their demonic, cloven hooves.

The only people I allow to call or text me (on my cellular devices) are about three dozen chosen ones I've added to my contacts list.

Our home phones employ a blocking capability supplied by my internet vendor, again only a select few contacts that my wife and I allow to call us.

By the way, there is only a small window in which most of the "chosen" are allowed to call us.

All others NOT on the list will be swiftly intercepted and denied telephonic access.

I enjoy the silence and no unnecessary intrusions into my beautiful, golden, retirement years.

You can have all that and more, if you make a few adjustments to repel the harassers.

Unbelievable, isn't it?

In fact, its nearly magical.

They appear to have a special ability to "disappear" themselves.

Back