Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught Shoplifting

breakfast26

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
So the other day I was caught at my campus bookstore stealing some clothes. I was taken to the back and sat down. I admitted to it, and when asked If i had ever stolen before, I denied it (even though I had). I had to give a written statement admitting to it, and my ID information. He said I was okay for now, and that he had been caught doing this once and the guy "scared him so bad he never did it again". He then said he would be giving the tape to security to review, and if they find any prior incidents than I could be in serious trouble (where my problem lies). Me and the man stayed there and talked for a while, discussing problems we had, and actually seemed to make a connection. I've kept in contact with him over the passed few days, trying to befriend him. Although I do like him, I'm hoping this helps in the case they do find anything. SO, here's my questions:

(the bookstore is owned by Barnes and Nobles by the way)

1) what are the chances they actually go back over the course of they year and look for other cases where I've stolen?
2) what are the chances they see these and actually act upon them?
3) Would this man be the one making the decisions on whether or not to press charges, or is that out of his hands at this point? (he's the general manager of that store, but its a large company)

Thanks in advance guys. Especially after getting to know this guy I feel just terrible about the situation, and it's been eating me away over the passed few weeks.

1) what are the chances they actually go back over the course of they year and look for other cases where I've stolen?

43.687%.

Seriously....how could we possibly know?

Basically the same answer as above. However, keep in mind that few retailers have the inclination to retain surveillance video footage for any significant period of time. Your post mentioned "the tape," and I doubt anyone records surveillance video onto magnetic tape anymore. However, if this particular store actually does that, try to imagine what sort of storage requirements would be needed. A campus bookstore is probably open 8-12 hours per day for 5 days a week. Do you really suppose there is a warehouse with video tapes? Even if the video is stored digitally, you'd still be looking at very large piles of flash drives or external hard drives, etc. Needless to say, neither I nor anyone else here has any idea what your unidentified college does and doesn't do with bookstore surveillance video, but you can probably apply some basic logic to this one (by the way, my comment that you didn't identify your college was NOT a suggestion that you do so).

3) Would this man be the one making the decisions on whether or not to press charges, or is that out of his hands at this point?

We have no conceivable way of knowing.

Hopefully you've learned a lesson and will stop your criminal behavior.

1-2. It won't happen. Most places only keep video for a month or two at best anyway, but even so they aren't going to sit someone in front of a screen to watch months worth of video to try and catch you committing a piddly petty shoplift.

3. Again, because of the above, it won't happen.

All you need to worry about it what you already blabbed. At this point I'd say any criminal action is unlikely. You will probably get a demand letter for a few hundred bucks (which is not a bill or a fine and is totally optional to pay if it makes your conscience feel better). The worst of your concerns might actually be any action taken by your school.
Best to disappear into the world and not constantly remind them you are still around. Let them find some other sucker to fleece.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. I will answer your concerns but it was unwise to name store on public forum

Very slim! They would need to go through hours and hours of video and no one really has that kind of time.

If they find anything high I would guess but see first answer

3) Would this man be the one making the decisions on whether or not to press charges, or is that out of his hands at this point? (he's the general manager of that store, but its a large company)
That depends on company policy

Back