Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught Shoplifting in GA - 37$ - First Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfHeyThere

I'll spare you the details, but needless to say, I attempted to steal 37 dollars from a large department store. I was caught on camera and they apprehended me and brought me back into a security room. I obviously fessed up and was very cooperative, confessing to what I did and being as polite as possible. I signed a ban form from the store as well as an admission of what I did. I knew I was caught and figure I might as well because there isn't a way out of it when they showed the video of me doing it.

Anyways, I was taken to a local jail and they basically just cited me and gave me a court date in a few months. My question lies here basically. Is it really necessary for me to get a lawyer? I'd like to just plead guilty and pay the fine, but is that even a logical option? I'm not rich by any means, full-time student and work on the weekends, but I figure I can pay off most of the fees over time. I definitely cannot afford to pay for a lawyer, and too be honest, I'd rather just get it over with ASAP so I could stop worrying about it.

What are my options here? I am already going to be contacting the Civil department and taking care of that fine ASAP, so that isn't really a major concern to me. It's more or less the fact that I've read tons of different opinions on getting a lawyer or not. Like I said, I am obviously guilty and willing to accept the fines associated with it. It is my first offense ever, and I took a very small amount in my opinion. (I realize that doesn't change much, but still...) I don't want to end up in massive debt because I pleaded guilty, and I'd be willing to work out something with the judge like community service or something, but I don't know how to go about this.

Any information and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

(And yes, this will be my first and last time stealing from anyone)

Your rush to get this over can cost you! If you cannot afford a Lawyer request a Public defender. When you talk to Public defender ask him if Diversion is available in your case. So heres the plan I suggest.

. Start calling Lawyers find out who offers free consultation. Those that do take them up on it.

. Ask this Attorneys about Diversion and other possible plea options. Do not mention you have no plan to hire them.

. Go to court armed with what you learned from consultations

. Plead not guilty and request Public Defender

So why is it so bad to plead guilty and just pay the fines? I don't really care about the misdemeanor going on my record because I plan to get it sealed whenever I can anyways, and I already have a job that won't check for that. Is it merely because I'll pay an extensive fine for this, even though the sum was only $37? Also, as it is my first offense and a very low amount of money, I'd figure the judge wouldn't make me pay some ridiculous amount, especially if I was polite, showed remorse, and was 100% cooperative with the court system.

Also, I only have a part time job and I'm a student, so I can't really afford a lawyer on my own, but I do live with my parents. Basically I'm trying to keep this to myself and just deal with it, so I really don't want to come at them asking for money to pay for a lawyer because a) they'd be pissed, and b) they don't really have that kind of money either. Will the courts take into affect the fact that I still live at home and they support me in that fact? Or will they just look solely at my personal finances when determining if I qualify for a public defender?

So with all that said, if you still recommend me talking to some lawyers, let me know what you think. Like I stated earlier, I am looking for the quickest way to resolve the issue while not paying some insane amount of money. Thanks in advance for any information.

Your not very bright are you? You got sound advice use it! If you cannot afford an Attorney request a Public defender (same thing a Lawyer). Paying fines is least of your worries. That criminal record will harm you for years to come before its eligible for expungement. Its not as simple as you think. Did you come here for advice or for someone to cosign your insanity?

Most states do not allow expungement for criminal offenses which you plead guilty to. Work out a plea deal such as probation before judgement. If you complete the probation during the time period, it can then be taken off your record. How do you do this might you ask? Get a criminal defense lawyer either by hiring private counsel or obtaining a public defender.

If you plead guilty to a theft related offense, you can kiss most jobs goodbye for seven years. Even a theft misdemeanor is not looked upon very well. I have seen many companies disqualify many qualified candidates due to theft offenses, violent criminal acts or major drug offenses. You do NOT want this on your record and if you plead guilty, it will be bad news. You most likely will not get it expunged for seven or more years. Get a lawyer.

Ok, so obviously it seems I need a lawyer for this. My main concern is first and foremost the cost. I definitely cannot afford one by myself, but I'm sure my parents could. This is where the problem lies though, that I really don't want to get them involved. How do they decide if you're eligible for a public defender? Sorry if I come of as ignorant to the situation at hand, but that's because this is truly my first time committing a crime of any sort and I've never had to deal with this. Thanks again.

Start calling Lawyers see offers free consultation take them up onit. Get as many as you can. Arm yourself with knowledge. Ask about Diversion or something similar to protect your record. Then if you cannot afford any of these Lawyers ask for Public defender in court. Tell the PD what you want so he can talk to DA

I'd figure the judge wouldn't make me pay some ridiculous amount, especially if I was polite, showed remorse, and was 100% cooperative with the court system.

I work in Georgia and have been to court on shoplifting cases too many times for me to count. Here is an example of a shoplifting case I had. Guy stole a pack of underwear value $10. Judge gave him a $500 fine, 40 hours community service and 3 months probation. The $500 doesn't include the civil demand notice you may get in the mail from the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back