Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught shoplifting at Micheals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tauras1977

Yesterday I was caught shoplifting at a store. The items were worth 128$. I wasn't arrested and the cop wrote up the report as a misdemeanor and I was allowed to leave. I have a court date for 21st October. This is my first offense, and I've never been arrested, ticketed, or been in any trouble at all.

I would like to know how serious my charge is, also what could happen in court.
I do not have a lawyer, they are very expensive and i cannot afford one. Will i be able to speak to the public defender before i meet the judge?
What happens if i plead guilty, will the judge be more harsh on me then?

What do probation and community service exactly mean. I just want to avoid jail.?

I would like to say that im truly sorry and ashamed of what ive done.

Well I would recommend consulting a lawyer even if he dose not defend you in court, but chances are this case wont make it that far. If you plead guilty then the judge is normally less harsh on you. probation means you will have to report to a probation officer once or twice a week to make sure your clean and out of trouble. community service means you will be put to work cleaning up litter, working for local community centers to pay off your debit to the community. you will also be ordered never to return to that store.

Thanks Sibee
Are there any correction programs u are aware of that i can attend, so the judge may go easier on me??
Also would it be okay then if i were to plead guilty?

Ask your Attorney if your county has a Diversion program. This can help keep a conviction off your record which will hamper your future jobs and other issues. My husband also has contacts within two groups that have court approved, most courts, program yu can enroll in before court. Judges like that. Send me PM and I will get those contact emails for you

Is your court date in October for arraignment, or is it for a pre-trial conference?

You shouldn't plead guilty unless you have already arranged what punishment the prosecutor will recommend. If you are at arraignment, pleading guilty won't really be that helpful for you. If you don't give the Judge information that casts you in a positive light, he'll have little reason to be all that sympathetic. . .

--
Sibbee stated: probation means you will have to report to a probation officer once or twice a week
----

That is highly unlikely. There simply aren't the resources. As long as drugs/alcohol aren't involved, you'll most likley see a probation officer once a month.

Good Luck to You.

. . . do you think maybe it is testing once or twice per week, as opposed to seeing the probation officer once or twice per week?

In most petty theft or shoplifting cases there is no reporting. Its summary probation and one does not report to a probation Officer therefore no testing.

And in the case where you don't have to report, are you forbidden to leave the state?
I am a foreign citizen, suppose to go back home (and never come back to the US) 4 days after my hearing (at which I plan to plead guilty, hoping the judge decide straight away the sentence).
Best case for me would be: big fine, probation but alowed to leave the country. Is that realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back