Caught shoplifting at Kohls and wondering if I have to pay the fine

Crystal2009

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Got caught shoplifting at Kohls while my mom was with me so they didn't call the cops. I gave them back all the items I stole and said that since I was 18 I wasn't a child anymore so I would have to pay the fine $175 presented on the paper. And that when I do pay it off then the ban will likely be lifted in the future but as of today I'm banned. However other avvo questions and answers says to just ignore the paper and that they cant charge u unless a judge is presented. Is that true cause I'm scared to just leave it unpaid since this is my 2nd time caught from an another store. It states that if I dont pay then kohls will have no alternative but to consider further civil action, which may include seeking attorney fees and costs against you.

And if I do decide to pay, the link "has been REDACTED by one of the MODS to protect the innocent" so idk where to pay the fine

Is that true cause I'm scared to just leave it unpaid since this is my 2nd time caught from an another store. It states that if I dont pay then kohls will have no alternative but to consider further civil action, which may include seeking attorney fees and costs against you.

The choice is yours to PAY or NOT to PAY.

You are correct, only a court can issue a JUDGMENT indicating that Peter OWES Paula $3,000.

The court does NOTHING to assist you in collecting that $3,000 from Paula.

You must use your own devices to seek out Paula's assets, so that a sheriff's deputy, constable, or marshal can levy against Paula's assets such that you get money or valuable stuff belonging to Paul to satisfy your judgment.

In the instant matter at hand, what you possess from the merchant is simply a "demand letter".

A "demand letter" is simply Bobby demanding you (Timmy) pay $500 to Bobby for whatever reasons Bobby cares to concoct.

Bobby's letter, much like the merchant's letter, is not enforceable under our laws.

It is simply a demand to pay that someone pay something to someone.

The merchant could sue you, but the odds of getting sued are lower than the odds of being struck by lightening, which is about 1 chance in 3,000.

I suggest you stay out of that store for the next three to four years.

Even if you paid and returned, someone would be watching your every move.

Last. but not least, STOP stealing.

This is the second time you've been nabbed.

Whatever else you may be, you are failing as a thief.

Please, for your future, obey THEIR laws.

I would have to pay the fine $175 presented on the paper

It is not really a fine. You have no legal obligation to pay it.

And that when I do pay it off then the ban will likely be lifted

Probably not. Do yourself a favor and stay out of that store.

this is my 2nd time caught from an another store

If you haven't learned your lesson yet, it won't be your last.

if I dont pay then kohls will have no alternative but to consider further civil action, which may include seeking attorney fees and costs against you.

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning several times. They got their junk back. You are small potatoes. You have already been forgotten... so stay out of there.

so idk where to pay the fine

If you could afford to pay their demand you probably wouldn't have been stealing to begin with.

It is incredibly unlikely they will pursue you as they did not initiate a criminal report at the time it happened, and doing so later is full of problems. In fact, if you think about it, you probably weren't even there that day. I bet you were at church.

If you could afford to pay their demand you probably wouldn't have been stealing to begin with.

It is incredibly unlikely they will pursue you as they did not initiate a criminal report at the time it happened, and doing so later is full of problems. In fact, if you think about it, you probably weren't even there that day. I bet you were at church.

This is not necessarily true. Some people just... steal.

Winona Ryder, for example...

Last. but not least, STOP stealing.

This is the second time you've been nabbed.

Whatever else you may be, you are failing as a thief.

Please, for your future, obey THEIR laws.

Yea... since this is the 2nd time I really need to control myself but the urge not to is difficult

If you feel you have a problem seek professional help

Then perhaps you should get yourself some counseling.

Two excellent suggestions, @Crystal2009

If you don't know where to start, talk to your family physician, a psychologist, or psychiatrist.

Call any emergency room, police agency, mental health agency; and ask where one can receive counseling for "kleptomania".

Don't be embarrassed, the people with whom you are speaking are professionals and know where you can get the help you need to protect your freedom.

The NASP has programs and resources to help with shoplifting addictions Home Their Director Barbara Staib is an acquaintance of mine. We have shared info and helped each other in the past.

The NASP has programs and resources to help with shoplifting addictions Home Their Director Barbara Staib is an acquaintance of mine. We have shared info and helped each other in the past.

Back