Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Caught buying liquor with friend's ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

okayprime

I was trying to buy liquor with my friend's old driver's license and the owner caught onto me and asked me to list things on the card, to copy the signature, etc. and he wasn't convinced. He demanded for my real license, and I stupidly panicked and gave it to him. When I realized what I did, I asked at least for my real license back, and he could keep my friend's license, but wouldn't give me back mine. The owner told me in order to get my license back, I had to get my friend, who lives two hours away (my license is also based in the same town) and he had to come with two forms of ID, like a passport and a social security card, which just smelt really fishy to me. What I'm wondering is, if the store owner hands over the two licenses to the police, is it likely that anything will happen to me? I've read anything from a $100 fine to losing my license for a year. I live in a college town and I'm sure these sort of things happen all the time.

It depends on the laws of your state. Trying to buy liquor as a minor using a license that does not belong to you is an offense. But the shop owner has no authority to keep your license.

i'm in california, by the way. If he has no right to keep my license, how would i go around getting it back without getting myself in trouble?

That is the nice catch here. You would call the cops...

May be it is better for you just to do what he says and get back your license. You decide.

i was just wondering what's the worst that can happen to me? i read something that said it's an infraction of $100, but the vehicle code said it could result in the loss of my license for up to a year. why is there this difference?

I am not an expert on CA law, but this discrepancy could be possible, because it is two different laws you are dealing with: for one the violation of the law not to try to get alcohol as a minor (the $ 100 fine) and the other the misuse of the driving license (the suspension)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back