Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught but I am innocent, looks bad though

Status
Not open for further replies.

seniormint2010

Ok, this looks real bad but it is the truth but looks like it was a combo of my stupidity and a bad luck. Today I went to rite aid to look for a gift card, I went in and looked towards the front of the store at the gift cards and asked the clerk about one. Didn't didn't find what I wanted so left, when I left the buzzer went off which usually happens when I buy a certain nasal inhalers even after I pay. Well, turns out, I had 2 of them in my pocket from a previous purchase last week (I know, dumb to still have them on me and looks like I stole them today), so I get to my car and there happened to be a cop at the store who came over and right away had me get out of my car, sit down on the curb and ask me if I stole anything, called it in, checked my license. Then asked me again, then asked me if I had anything in my pockets which I said yeah I had these 2 nasal inhalers I bought last week which he made sound like why I had them from last week and that I just stole them. So we went back into the store and the lady's at the counter said they didn't see me goto the area where they were sold at all and that the buzzer always goes off, so he basically was a tough guy with me, I re-paid for them to avoid the hassle and he said he knew where I lived and now I am now allowed on the property anymore. They didn't have any survelence of me at that far end of the store and none of the several employees could say they saw me up there, the ones that did see me said I was only at the front. So can I even complain or do I just suck it up and feel like a fool and except paying double for something I decided to keep in my pocket?? Since when is that a crime?? The buzzer always goes off when I buy them anyway so its no suprise, I just feel mugged and this officer was plain clothes and a total jerk. I so want to complain but not if I have nothing to complain about but believe it or not, I am honestly innocent. I know it sounds bad but it is true.

If there is another store (similar) then shop elsewhere dont waste your time. However if you really want to return there and have a wrong righted contact the stores corporate office and complain that no one saw you take anything nor saw you near items that you were accussed of stealing. Ask for repayment for falsely claimed monies and ban lifted. They are under no obligation to do so but you can ask.

even if the police officer was there and totally supported them? I meen it did look bad that I had 2 of those nasal inhalors in my pocket when I said I bought them last week. One of the employees claimed they also should have 2 stocked on the shelf and there were none on the shelf with the inventory gun so that makes it almost look like I am totally guilty and lucky to not get arrested. But if I can complain I will, but with that extra evidance I just gave am I screwed or does it make a difference?? The cop did say "I know where you live too so watch out" tough guy tactic, any help in complaining to the police about his tactics or will they look at me as a lowlife shoplifter??

First off its over you payed for item. Second they have no evidence you took items no DA would likely touch such a case. You have two choices

A. Forget it and shop elsewhere

B. Complain to corporate

thanks a lot for the reply's, sorry to make such a stink but man, the officer was real out of line, he grabbed me rough out of my car and was yelling at me and in my face most of the time and even said at the end as we were leaving that I am a local resident and he wrote down my address and knows where I live so I better watch out. I am not to go to that store or will be charged with trespassing. He also didn't identify himself as a cop when getting me out of my car and it was in a mcdonalds parking lot and with his bad dress I thought it was a poor guy asking me for money, then I thought it may be a fight till he did finally say he was a police officer but that was after he had grabbed me so that has to be some kind of misconduct but I am sure he would deny it.
Plus I am thinking that any survelence footage would show me in an area where they could claim this product was being stored even if it doesn't show me taking it so they can at least make it look like I was looking sneaky, I am almost afraid they will call the cop and say "hey that shoplifter is making trouble, lets press charges and show him not to mess with us"
But I a want justice as I am no saint but am actually innocent in this case!! Did the cop violate any rule by not giving me his name? I was not givin a ticket so I guess not.

You dont even know if it was a cop unless you showed you some ID. Based on way you desribe this it possible he wasnt a cop but store security. However like I said they most likely will not charge you since they hav no evidence you took anything along with that you were allowed to pay for items so there was no theft. did you keep reciept from that transaction? If you did put it in a safe place its your proof you paid

oh it was a cop he finally showed me his badge (after grabbing my shirt from my car, I thought I was getting carjacked) And I highly doubt any charges will be filed since no paperwork was done, just wanted to scare me so I luckily I avoided getting any ticket but I got yelled at from this cop like I was a total scumbag and told that he wrote down where I live and to watch out so I want vengence!!!

seniormint2010 said:
oh it was a cop he finally showed me his badge (after grabbing my shirt from my car, I thought I was getting carjacked) And I highly doubt any charges will be filed since no paperwork was done, just wanted to scare me so I luckily I avoided getting any ticket but I got yelled at from this cop like I was a total scumbag and told that he wrote down where I live and to watch out so I want vengence!!!

Was it a Police badge? did you really look at it? Store Loss Prevention also carry badges

You can always call the local law enforcement agency and see if they can help you identify who might have been working at the store either on or off duty. If you can find out who this guy is, you complain to his agency about his attitude.

thanks for all the replies guys and the great advice. I guess I should just swallow my pride and let it go, I could try and report him but probably more trouble than its worth, I didn't save the reciept from when I bought the inhalor last week I always throw them out. Maybe I will complain to corporate as I know survelance video will show that I was nowhere near that area which is on the other end of the store so that will make them realize something. But cops are different, they will lie and cover each others buts no matter what and probably make things worse for me just to be jerks. Tough guys behind there badges in this town especially this clown.
I learned a lesson though, everytime I go into a store, I am checking my pockets!! Even a 1/2 open pack of smokes which this cop would still have accused me of stealing! LOL

seniormint2010 said:
But cops are different, they will lie and cover each others buts no matter what and probably make things worse for me just to be jerks.
Oh, please ... apparently you do not know too many cops if this is what you believe, or, you have been on the wrong side of the law a few times.

I don't recall if you mentioned your state, but there are only a couple of states where i would see this impression as being anything more than a localized phenomena. One jerk cop does not make an entire department or profession bad. And NO officer I know would ever "lie and cover" another one's butt. No one screw up is worth the risk to my career and self respect.

It is still unclear if this was an actual Officer or a Loss Prevention Officer showing his badge. I have known LPs and other security people to claim they were Police when they were not

Yes, but apparently the officer ran the OP's name ... something LP would not be able to do unless he was playing an elaborate scam.

well some updates, I called corporate and turns out it was the store security guard, he clearly said police as he ran up to my car. My good friends family are all lawyers and very good ones so luckily I can usually get some free legal advice and was talking with one of them (they are busy but still can advise me), since the guard was yelling at me and pretty verbally abusave that does not look good for him, also him saying he was a police officer was wrong, he ran up to my car and totally suprised me from the side which scared the crud outa me and my friend said that is a bit excessive and last but not least, I was in reverse and he reached into the car and grabbed the shifter like I was trying to flee, luckily I hit the brake and didn't mess up the transmission but you would have thought I was a FBI fugitve, lawyer said that was definatly a no no. and since 4 cashiers actually said they only saw me in the front of the store not all the way in the back and there is no video (not sure why, not working or not available) no-one saw me even near that area of the store. my friend is going to get a collegue to take the case and we are taking this clown to court and suing for damages. I won't lie, I would love a million dollars but who wouldn't, but honestly, I just want to be able to fight back the right way and show this bum he can't act this way and get away with it and expect people to just cower away, he totally got off on the power trip. So it sure will p(*&^ him off and I can't wait! Just taking him to court will be fine and seeing him get grilled, luckilly it won't cost me any attorney fee's. I guess with my luck I could still lose and goto jail for a bad haircut but as long as he gets grilled for his ignorance I will be happy!

I do not recall the state you are in, but it might be that your state allows reasonable force to detain a subject for which the employee has probable cause to believe committed a crime. Whether he can articulate that probable cause is something we cannot tell.

You actually have a friend who is going to go to court for free? Well, he is taking a gamble that he will actually get his fees paid.

Most such cases settle lout of court for attorneys' fees and maybe a little more. You might get a tad more, but you might not. So, I am afraid he may not get grilled on the stand ... he might get grilled by his employer, and might lose his job, but I doubt he'll be squirming on the stand unless they can actually come up with some reason to believe you DID commit the theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back