Case? Partially Bind Home Inspector Missed Collapsing Front Porch Pulling Wall

JakeM22

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Wondering if this inspection miss, by someone who was possibly blind in one eye, is worth pursuing. There were others misses such as bat droppings all over the attic and rotten roof rafters (pointed out by bat remediation man who also worked as a home inspector). Thanks in Advanced!

1. April 2021 - Purchased house and had it inspected by someone from a national inspection company.
  2. January 2022 - Noticed cracks throughout the walls and ceilings of house.
  3. February 2022 - Filed Claims with Inspection Company and received frivolous adjudication - they referenced my foundation claims when I referenced a porch issue throughout the claim.
  4. March 2022 - Had residential structural engineer visit in March 2022. He was surprised that the inspector didn't noticed 1) A collapsing front porch (issue needing almost immediate attention). 2) Said porch was sliding and pulling front wall of house off (I have about 5 years to remediate). He also said that he'd write me a letter saying these issues likely existed in April 2021, if I wanted to sue my inspector.
  5. March 2022 - Researched my Inspector on Twitter then and saw them, in Fall 2021 talking about gaining their left eye vision back in after more than a year of blindness. Really, you're doing visual inspections with vision in only one eye?
  6. I have grainy pictures from inspection day showing the cracks inside and decent pictures from August 2022 showing evidence of porch collapsing.
  7. The exculpatory language in my inspection contract is fairly comprehensive in terms of discharging them of negligence. I have some contracts background beyond the normal person to know you can't discharge all negligence, yet IANAL and know nothing about home inspection contracts beyond the words.
  8. I've talked to a few lawyers and have received answers from "this is too small," "Not interested", and "I'll [reluctantly] do it."

The cost of demolition and rebuilding the porch is 25 to 30K.

Last edited:
Your contract with the inspection company almost definitely limits their liability. As suggested above, speak to an attorney.

Wondering if this inspection miss, by someone who was possibly blind in one eye, is worth pursuing.
Just as a note - being blind in one eye doesn't necessarily mean anything negative. One of my first (and best) flight instructors was blind in one eye.

Back