Car warranty grace period

cac3a

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello,
I have a BMW car that is 8000 miles past warranty and the engine completely died. The dealership has told me that it wasn't anything that I did and that I have to replace the engine.

I opened a case with BMW NA and essentially got a finger. BMW NA said because I didn't buy a car from dealership they are uncertain of its history.

The previous model, which has the same engine had a settled class action law suit on similar problem.

Is there any recourse for me - would it be worthwhile to go after them with a lawyer? If so what are the possible angles for this.
The cost of replacement is roughly $15k.

Thanks,

Is there any recourse for me - would it be worthwhile to go after them with a lawyer?

You ALONE must make that decision using your mental capabilities.

If so what are the possible angles for this.

Again, mate, that is something you alone must determine.

The cost of replacement is roughly $15k.

The cost of something to one, means nothing to some people and a great deal to others.

Again, the answers you seek are the ones you ALONE can provide.

If I were standing in your shoes, I'd simply buy a new car.

But, we are two different people, with differing financial positions.

Hello,
I have a BMW car that is 8000 miles past warranty and the engine completely died. The dealership has told me that it wasn't anything that I did and that I have to replace the engine.

I opened a case with BMW NA and essentially got a finger. BMW NA said because I didn't buy a car from dealership they are uncertain of its history.
Well...that and the fact that you're 8,000 miles PAST WARRANTY

The previous model, which has the same engine had a settled class action law suit on similar problem.

"Settled" is the operative word. Class action settlements are done without any admission or adjudication of liability and the members of the class get a little something while the rest of the money goes to the initiating plaintiffs and their attorneys.

You wouldn't likely be able to mention the settlement or the previous model in court.

I opened a case with BMW NA

A case of what?

Is there any recourse for me - would it be worthwhile to go after them with a lawyer?

Nothing in your post suggests you have any viable legal claim against anyone. Unless you meant something completely unusual when you wrote that the car is "8000 miles past warranty," I'm at a loss to understand why you might think otherwise.

I didn't buy a car from dealership they are uncertain of its history

You bought the car used?
It seems to me BMW has no obligation to you. While it is possible the warranty may have transferred, it has expired. You were not even their customer.
If you have no active warranty on this used vehicle you likely have no recourse. The expense is on you. You can save some cost by purchasing a rebuilt engine rather than a new one.... However I bet you do not really need an entire new engine.

If 2-3 different mechanics confirm the diagnosis then believe it, but don't take the word of just one.

Just curious... Why do you think the engine requires replacement?

Thank you for the answers.
Why do you think the engine requires replacement?
I don't know and neither the dealer did. They simply said it is seized. No error messages, warnings etc. just dead. Dealer said a internal malfunction and new engine is required no specifics and it wasn't anything that I did.

8000 miles past warranty,
Well I guess I was thinking that there would be a some sort customer protection beyond warranty to certain point.

While it is possible the warranty may have transferred, it has expired.
Certain that it was transferred - always is in bmw case.

I get that the car is out of warranty and I would totally understand if it had 3 times the mileage.

Thank you for the answers.
I don't know and neither the dealer did. They simply said it is seized. No error messages, warnings etc. just dead. Dealer said a internal malfunction and new engine is required no specifics and it wasn't anything that I did.
There is no way in the world that, without knowing the cause, the dealer can say with any level of certainty that it was nothing you did.

Well I guess I was thinking that there would be a some sort customer protection beyond warranty to certain point.
That's not how a warranty works.

Certain that it was transferred - always is in bmw case.
Transferred under all of the existing terms, including the mileage limitations.

I get that the car is out of warranty and I would totally understand if it had 3 times the mileage.
Oh, so you understand that the warranty is no longer applicable. Why didn't you say that in the first place?

This is a truly bizarre way of thinking. Just for the purposes of having a number, why would you think a 50,000 mile warranty would remain in effect after the vehicle has more than 50,000 mile warranty? If the manufacturer wanted to give a 58,000 mile warranty, then it would do that -- but they I suppose you'd think the 58,000 mile warranty would be in effect for 8,000 miles beyond that. When you buy 15 gallons of gas and have used those 15 gallons, the car will stop running. Why would you think the customer would be entitled to more than what was bargained for at the time of purchase?

I'm aware of other cases that got handled by bmw na in which they provided assistance and I was wondering if someone here has took part in it.

If the manufacturer made repairs after the warranty had expired, it was in the interest of customer service, not because of any legal obligation, and a legal message board is not a good place to find folks with experience with a particular auto manufacturer's warranty.

Because there is more to the story. Such as customer lifetime value and loyalty - thats it.

What if your 15 gallons of "gas" was only 80% gas and 20% water and you could have made it 2 miles further ?

You know...you could refuse to buy another one of their cars...THAT would show 'em!

Because there is more to the story. Such as customer lifetime value and loyalty - thats it.

You selectively quoted what I wrote. I wrote, "Why would you think the customer would be entitled to more than what was bargained for at the time of purchase?" I understand customer relations, but that's irrelevant to any legal issue. It's also not like you were 8 miles over warranty. Eight-thousand miles is more than some folks drive in a year.

What if your 15 gallons of "gas" was only 80% gas and 20% water and you could have made it 2 miles further ?

Then that would be a big problem on many levels, but this has nothing at all to do with your situation.

Back