Car title

Gina moore

Jurisdiction
Arkansas
Me and my boyfriend where together i gave him the money to purchase a vehicle while i was at work he came home with it in his name instead of mine so i went back to the carlot and the dealer put it in name and done a name correction on the an advdvait now me and my boyfriend arent together anymore and now hes saying i stoled his title and put it in my name.

I gave my boyfriend the money to go purchase a vehicle for me he came home with the title in his name which was suppose to be n mine so i went back to car dealer with the title and bill of sale the dealer change it to my name and filled out an affidavit of a name correction and then me and my boyfriend split up and he is trying to say that i stoled his title if he takes me to civil court want the judge say it is my vehicle?

I gave my boyfriend the money to go purchase a vehicle for me he came home with the title in his name which was suppose to be n mine so i went back to car dealer with the title and bill of sale the dealer change it to my name and filled out an affidavit of a name correction and then me and my boyfriend split up and he is trying to say that i stoled his title if he takes me to civil court want the judge say it is my vehicle?

That THING isn't your friend.
He's an OPPORTUNISTIC thief.
Stop communicating with him.
It's your car, and he's just mad you outsmarted him.

That THING isn't your friend.
He's an OPPORTUNISTIC thief.
Stop communicating with him.
It's your car, and he's just mad you outsmarted him.

He filed theft of Property on me so is the judge gonna throw it out and most likely tell him hes gonna have to take me to civil court right. But the thing i am worried about is what if he does and has the car lot guy sopenen however u spell it to court and the dealer says he gave him the money not me but the dealer also change the title not me so i did ask a Lawyer about it and he said the car is mine he would have to sue the dealer to get his money back also the ex boyfriend stoled My car while i was at a school program with my kids and he has unauthorized use of vehicle on him now cuz he still has a spare key so i am just confused no matter what the car is mine right.

He filed theft of Property on me so is the judge gonna throw it out and most likely tell him hes gonna have to take me to civil court right. But the thing i am worried about is what if he does and has the car lot guy sopenen however u spell it to court and the dealer says he gave him the money not me but the dealer also change the title not me so i did ask a Lawyer about it and he said the car is mine he would have to sue the dealer to get his money back also the ex boyfriend stoled My car while i was at a school program with my kids and he has unauthorized use of vehicle on him now cuz he still has a spare key so i am just confused no matter what the car is mine right.

Let him sue you.
He's just mad you stood up for yourself.
If he sues you, go to court, tell your story.
You should ask for the car salesman to be your witness.
Doesn't matter if he does, because the truth is the truth.

I suggest you write down everything about this event.

Use that if he does sue you.

A loser who doesn't have money to buy a car, who tries to steal the car from a friend, probably won't sue you.

But, why worry?

If it rains, it rains, nothing you can do about it.

Let him sue you.
He's just mad you stood up for yourself.
If he sues you, go to court, tell your story.
You should ask for the car salesman to be your witness.
Doesn't matter if he does, because the truth is the truth.

I suggest you write down everything about this event.

Use that if he does sue you.

A loser who doesn't have money to buy a car, who tries to steal the car from a friend, probably won't sue you.

But, why worry?

If it rains, it rains, nothing you can do about it.

So since he has a spare key and done stoled it once i was thinking about selling it r trading it in but i didn't want to if i would get in trouble later if he did win in court for some reason which he shouldn't since i went thru the proper steps.

Hmm... do the purchase contracts have his name and signature?
How long ago did this purchase occur?

Was this a used car paid in full? Can you prove you made the payment?

It most certainly is a civil issue, not a criminal one. He likely won't pursue this very far as the hassle of the civil procedure kicks kicks in.

You should at least be prepared to prove that you made the payment, but with the title in your name the burden is on him to prove the car belongs to him.

Hmm... do the purchase contracts have his name and signature?
How long ago did this purchase occur?

Was this a used car paid in full? Can you prove you made the payment?

It most certainly is a civil issue, not a criminal one. He likely won't pursue this very far as the hassle of the civil procedure kicks kicks in.

You should at least be prepared to prove that you made the payment, but with the title in your name the burden is on him to prove the car belongs to him.

The purchase was 2 /28/17
He only has an photo from where he took a pic on his phone no orignal cuz i had the original which i took back to car lot and they gave me a bill of sale and changed the title to my name and an name correction affidavit saying there was a name correction.
It was a used car paid in full
I can't prove i gave the money to the dealer besides the dealer changing the title but it was my money

You could at least show a withdrawal of the money from your accounts?
It probably won't ever get to that point, but would be helpful to have.
Again, the burden is really on him. Everything is in your name and he has to prove ut should be otherwise.
You can change the locks on the car if you are worried it might disappear.

K thank you for your advice. But at the same time being i have tge charges on him for unauthorized use of vehicle do u think he will take it to civil court?

K thank you for your advice. But at the same time being i have tge charges on him for unauthorized use of vehicle do u think he will take it to civil court?

All you have to do is pay a locksmith to rekey the locks, and get new keys and/or a remote.
That'll run you less than $50.

Don't replace them, rekey them, its cheaper.

You have a locksmith rekey the locks, get new keys and have your remote changed.

Your ex is more likely to whine and complain than to pursue you in small claims. Many people are too overwhelmed by the process and give up at the early stages. If he does pursue it, all he would get is an order that you owe him a certain amount (which sounds unlikely). The court would not order you to turn over the car. The car is yours.

Your ex is more likely to whine and complain than to pursue you in small claims. Many people are too overwhelmed by the process and give up at the early stages. If he does pursue it, all he would get is an order that you owe him a certain amount (which sounds unlikely). The court would not order you to turn over the car. The car is yours.

So why would they order me to pay a certain amount and not give car up?

All you have to do is pay a locksmith to rekey the locks, and get new keys and/or a remote.
That'll run you less than $50.

Don't replace them, rekey them, its cheaper.

You have a locksmith rekey the locks, get new keys and have your remote changed.
Thank you i will call first thing in the morning to see how much it will be

So why would they order me to pay a certain amount and not give car up?

That's just the way it works.
If he actually wanted to get the car he would have to use an even more difficult process.
Unless you receive a summons to appear in court you can just ignore anything he says or does.

Back