Car Title vs Money paid

A

Acfrank

Jurisdiction
South Dakota
In 2011 my father took out a loan with chase bank for a car for me. It is in his name only. I have been the sole driver of the car and made all the payments. I was planning to make the last payment to pay it off next week. My father and I had a falling out last year. However he came to my house yesterday with the sheriff and took the car. I have paid 23,000 for the car. Is their anything I can do to either get the car back or some of the money I've paid towards the car back?

Are you saying your Father's name is the only name on the loan AND the only name on the car title? Whose name(s) are on the title - please verify. Thanks.

In 2011 my father took out a loan with chase bank for a car for me. It is in his name only. I have been the sole driver of the car and made all the payments. I was planning to make the last payment to pay it off next week. My father and I had a falling out last year. However he came to my house yesterday with the sheriff and took the car. I have paid 23,000 for the car. Is their anything I can do to either get the car back or some of the money I've paid towards the car back?

Apparently your father legally OWNS the car.
Two names on the loan mean nothing, if only ONE name is on the title.
Legally dad owns the car, otherwise the Sheriff's Department wouldn't have gotten involved.

Therefore, there's no legal action you can seek.

You can appeal to your father's sense of fairness, apologize, and ask him if he'll sign the car over after you pay off the note.

Otherwise, the car belongs to your father legally.

Are you saying your Father's name is the only name on the loan AND the only name on the car title? Whose name(s) are on the title - please verify. Thanks.
Only my Father's name. I was not able to get the same interest rate as he was, so he signed for the loan and I made ALL payments.

Only my Father's name. I was not able to get the same interest rate as he was, so he signed for the loan and I made ALL payments.

You got to use the car for 6 years for about $300 per month, considerably less than the monthly cost to rent a car.

So you really aren't out any money when you think of it that way.

Now go out and buy your own car.

You got to use the car for 6 years for about $300 per month, considerably less than the monthly cost to rent a car.

Dad owns the car. It doesn't matter who made the payments. He had every legal right to take the car.

It didn't seem clear in the response whether "dad only" is in response to the question about the loan, registration, or both.
I suspect both but it is worth clarifying.

It didn't seem clear in the response whether "dad only" is in response to the question about the loan, registration, or both.
I suspect both but it is worth clarifying.

If dad didn't own the car, the deputy wouldn't have accompanied him to serve what I suspect to be a "writ of replevin".

A writ of replevin is one such vehicle to obtain possession on an expedited basis.
Any person whose personal property is wrongfully detained by any other person or officer may have a writ of replevin to recover said personal property.

Could be. I interpret the deputy's presence as more of a keep the peace role, not particularly favoring either side. If dad anticipated conflict he could have asked for a deputy to be present just in case.

Could be. I interpret the deputy's presence as more of a keep the peace role, not particularly favoring either side. If dad anticipated conflict he could have asked for a deputy to be present just in case.

True, hard to know for sure.
Many post, fewer return. LOL

I don't think it is "completely" clear whose name(s) are on the title. Dad's name is only one on loan though per OP.

Title and registration were in h

Done. Thank you

Back