car taxes

paulpemp

I have had a car parked in my driveway since oct.of 2013 the city of waterbury wants me to pay taxes for 2011,2012,and all of 2013.the car is not registered because it is in need of repair.i showed them the bill of sale for when i bought the car but said it didn't matter.what can i do?

I have had a car parked in my driveway since oct.of 2013 the city of waterbury wants me to pay taxes for 2011,2012,and all of 2013.the car is not registered because it is in need of repair.i showed them the bill of sale for when i bought the car but said it didn't matter.what can i do?

You can pay their demands, or settle in for them to hound you relentlessly for their forty pieces of silver.
Your state is a proud sponsor of legalized state, collection terrorism!!!

You might want to pay what you owe. It is my understanding that in Ct. vehicle taxes is based on ownership & not registration. You can do a google search for further information.

If you haven't titled and registered the vehicle since you bought it, the fact that it needs repairs is irrelevant. You owe sales tax on the purchase price. Annual registration fees can usually be skipped if the vehicle is not driveable but you have to notify them in whatever manner they require. Property tax is based on the value of the vehicle. You may be able to get the value reduced because of the vehicle condition, but again you need to go through their process for that, and you will likely still owe something. Go down to city hall and talk to them, then pay what you owe on the outcome of that conversation.

Back