1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Car sale Scam Consumer Fraud

Discussion in 'Consumer Fraud & Scams' started by Lewisglt, May 26, 2016.

  1. Lewisglt

    Lewisglt Law Topic Starter Guest

    I purchased a vehicle on a Friday and noticed some issues so I spoke with them Monday face to face and requested my down payment back or put me in a different car they gave me the run-around and I left to head to work. I called them Tuesday and told them I am returning the car they said they will call me back after they spoke with the sales manager and never did and that's when I emailed them saying I'm returning the car and I'm requesting my down payment back and they replied back saging that they will see me tomorrow. So Wednesday have no I went in to return the vehicle they had me sign a paper work that I was canceling the deal didn't realize on the very top it was titled voluntary something and they took the keys and made a phone call stating it was a voluntary repossession because I didn't have insurance. The insurance information I provided them wasn't updated because I didn't have the updated information but it was effective the day I brought the car as I told them that. Once they got off the phone I told him that's not right I didn't want to repossess this car voluntary and that y'all are not right for this need to give me my money back sales manager says no read the sign stating no refund. To add to this whole entire situation the day I purchased the vehicle they asked me if I was willing to repossess a vehicle for 200 hundred buck. I already knew off the back that that was against the law and if I were to do that I would have been in jail or shot because I do not work for them nor have a license to repossess. The information that they provided me to repossess this person's vehicle was there credit application with their social security number driver's license address and telephone numbers. Long story short they kicked me off the premises and called the police and the police stated that I need to go ahead and file small claims court and report them to the Better Business Bureau Federal Trade Commission and the Texas DMV along with other agencies. I am now going to email them again after my car's already been repossessed and no refund, stating I want my down payment back. What should I do?
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    You appear to discount any advice already given.
    You're looking for an easy answer to a very difficult problem.
    Your remedy, should you desire to pursue it lies in the correct small claims court (the place and precinct where the business is located in the county where the business lies).

    There are no magic words, magic spells that will result in you getting your money the moment the nonexistent words are uttered.

    The cops were spot on in your case.

    Good luck.
  3. txls

    txls Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Do what the police told you.
  4. adjusterjack

    adjusterjack Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do.

    You bought the car AS IS. You should have thoroughly inspected and tested it before buying or had a mechanic do it. Or gotten a warranty. You apparently did neither.

    You signed a paper without thoroughly reading and understanding it. Big mistake there.

    Yes, it was a repossession. Whoever or whatever financed it now has the contractual right to resell the car to cover the balance of the loan. If the sale price is less than what you owe, which is likely, your down payment will go toward that deficiency and if it's not enough, you will be billed, and maybe sued, for more money.

    Frankly, I don't see any scam or anything illegal happening here so complaining to government agencies, the BBB, and going to small claims court is likely to get you nowhere.

Share This Page