Consumer Law, Warranties car engine replacement needs replacing again

Status
Not open for further replies.

korearicanlady

In December 2008, the engine on my 2002 maza protege overheated and completely burned out. I accepted full responsibility since my engine light had been on for a couple minutes before my car starting making funky sounds and smoking. I had the car towed to Box Auto Service (Charleston, SC) where an engine replacement was recommended. The status of the radiator, etc was given as in good condition and I was told that a replacement would allow me to drive the car until I graduated from school. So, instead of applying the $2584 toward a new car, I approved the engine replacement. I picked the car up on Jan 5, 2009. It had been running fine, but on March 11, 2009 after only 1200 miles since the replacement, the car overheated and broke down again. I am a 23 year old female student that knows little about cars, but from the drivers seat, the problem was identical and I pulled over before the engine light had even come on. So at 1am on the side of the interstate, I had to have the car towed again to the shop. There is no reason for an engine to simply overheat and I am well within the 3 month/3000 mile warranty limits. However, the shop does not want to honor the warranty because "The engine ran hot." Please advise.

Last edited:
What state?

Take the car to a different mechanic if he finds a problem with the car engine that was not your fault, ask if he will testify or at least file out a report. File a small claims action. If you can not find a mechanic to support your claim it would be doubtful you would prevail in an action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back