car dosnt match vin number

M

mileek davis

Jurisdiction
Texas
i bought a 1980 buick regal for 400$ cash, and have been working on it for a year. i haven't got the title because Milton (the guy who sold me the car) says he lost it. I was gonna file it as a lost title but when I tried they told me the vin didn't match. I am only 19 and dont know if this is something that needs legal action since I cant get a hold of Milton and it seems like hes trying to avoid me. if you have anything that can help me. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
First, you were stupid to pay for a car without getting a title for it.

Second, the title is not in your name so you can't replace it - that's Milton's responsibility since it's in his name.

I don't understand what didn't the VIN match? You didn't have a title to begin with.

This all sounds shady - you may have more problems down the road. I wouldn't spend another dime fixing the car.

You need to go to the DMV with any paperwork you have and with the VIN of the car you have. They will be able to advise you what your options are(if any). There is a process you can go through to obtain title to a vehicle when you can't get the paperwork you need from the former owner, but I can't say for sure if you will be able to do that and of course it will cost. The vehicle may not be worth it.

i bought a 1980 buick regal for 400$ cash, and have been working on it for a year. i haven't got the title because Milton (the guy who sold me the car) says he lost it. I was gonna file it as a lost title but when I tried they told me the vin didn't match. I am only 19 and dont know if this is something that needs legal action since I cant get a hold of Milton and it seems like hes trying to avoid me. if you have anything that can help me. thanks

In the future, don't buy anything used from anyone until you've done seven things:

1 Establish the item is the shape it appears to be.
2 Establish the person's legitimacy as owner of the item.
3 Establish the item being sold, is the item it appears to be on paper (as in being titled properly).
4 NEVER buy any motor vehicle until you've verified there are no liens on the title.
5 Make sure the title is as it appears to be.
6 Don't make any motor vehicle purchase without deliberating intensely.
7 Always have the vehicle you're contemplating purchasing checked by a qualified mechanic you trust.

It's generally a very risky proposition to buy any used automobile, motorcycle, or truck.

It's even riskier when you buy any used motor vehicle from SOME private parties.

Don't put your phone number out here for all the world to see. All you'll get is cranks but no help.

I cant get a hold of Milton and it seems like hes trying to avoid me.

Sure he is. You fell for the "lost my title" routine (probably never had one) and he got your money.

Fortunately for you, TX allows for a bonded title. Here's some information about the process and the DMV application:

Texas Bonded Title Process

https://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdmv-info/vtr/rtb/2012/vtr130sof912.pdf

Back