1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Car Dealership Add ons

Discussion in 'Car Sales, Dealers, Repairs, Lemon Law' started by bbossenmeyer01, Sep 8, 2022.

1. bbossenmeyer01

bbossenmeyer01 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    When purchasing my car at the dealership, the Finance Representative included optional add ons without asking me. When I questioned him regarding the add ons, he told me not to worry because they are included in all the agreements, so I signed the contract.

He added the following to my contract: 7 year warranty, carefree maintenance program and surface protection product. He also did not provide me any information or documents related to these products and/or the companies that administer them.

Can I go back to the dealership sales manager and request that the cost of these add ons be refunded to me?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You most certainly should be able to ask a question.

You might even like the answer.

FREE bonus information:

Car Buyer's Bill of Rights - California DMV

New California Car Buyer’s Bill of Rights

Privacy Information :: California Car Buyer’s Bill of Rights

Dealer-Added Options Car Dealer Scam Explained

Dealer Fees to Watch Out For When Buying a Car | LendingTree

Don’t Get Suckered Into Paying for These 20 Useless Things at Car Dealerships

Sale of "mandatory" add-ons - Auto Fraud Legal Center

Can the Car Dealership Really Do That? - NerdWallet

3. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

You can ask whatever you like. But you agreed to all of them (and their several thousand dollar cost) when you signed the documents.

4. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

The dealership probably only sold those products and took a cut. You may be able to get a refund for the unused portion from the company actually providing the various products.

5. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Yes, of course you can ask.

If you don't get satisfaction, contact the DMV and make a claim against the dealer's bond.

6. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I would have gotten up and walked out.

I bought a brand new car a couple of years ago for about $26000. The dealer offered me about $8000 worth of that s--t. No thanks.

You ask for that before you sign. Before you sign is when you have POWER. After you sign, well, you can guess which one is you in this picture.

You can ask. What you get back depends on the terms and conditions of what you bought.

Attached Files:

Zigner likes this.
  7. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

A claim for what? While I understand that the OP can (as in, has the ability to) do so, why would you suggest that the OP make an apparently frivolous claim against the dealer's bond?

8. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

It's not apparently frivolous to me. At the very least, the failure to provide paperwork regarding the warranties is a violation. No harm in making a claim. Worst thing that happens is that it gets denied.