Car dealers padding transport fees issue

skowaz

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Hi,

not naming the dealer chain directly, but all the locations involved below have the same name and are believed to be part of the same main brand/organization:

I found an used car at a dealer in TN, the dealer is part of a brand that has many locations in AZ as well, so after getting a few estimates from shipping agencies (around $700 average) I decided to call the AZ location closest to me to see if they can get the car sent over at their location, as I thought it's be easier to sign purchase docs in person and let them do the logistics.

1st location I call sends me a purchase offer with shipping at around $2200! thought it was a mistake since salesperson mentioned $0.50 per mile but then I'm told that manager said so, and that's it.
I decide to call some more:
2nd location $1300
3rd and 4th want $1800 for shipping. supposedly 100% of the money would go to the shipping brokers and they would not pocket any of it, but I find it very unlikely and suspect there is a deceptive practice embedded in the brand itself.

I thought that numbers like these for a company this size could mean tens of millions of dollars, I am not sure what could be done to bring this to light and get it addressed (class action maybe? what other options are there?)

thanks!

Back