Car Dealer Changing Terms of the Signed Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank8989

I have a signed contract by both the dealer's manager and I. $1995 down, $299/month; 39 month lease. This was signed in May. They have missed 2 delivery dates. On the 3rd delivery date, today, I bring my license plates to be transferred and have an insurance binder faxed to them. At financing, they tell me that I can have 0% lease financing and pay zero down and $550/month. All in all, they tried to swindle me. It's worse than bait and switch. They try to dupe me into accepting a 35% higher price by telling me it's the same. They refuse to give me what's written on the contract. The back of the contract stipulates:

"The total cash price delivered less the trade-in allowance shown on the front of this agreement is the final contract price to which you and I have agreed, and, if the vehicle is a new motor vehicle, no additional fee or charge will be imposed or collected due to changes in the manufacturer's list price, or changes in the cost of freight or services provided to you"

That seems pretty iron clad to me. I wasted 20 hours going to the dealership 5 or 6 times and countless times calling them.

Now, for me, it's not an issue with the monetary aspects of the deal. I feel that this type of corporate behavior borders on criminality. I believe that this may merit a civil suit seeking punitive and compensatory damages. Like I said, it's not monetary, I would not settle out of court for even a large sum. I would want this to go to trial just so they really learn their lesson.

As a humorous side note, I received a call from the salesman after walking away and refusing a refund of my deposit. He had asked me to bring back the keys to the new car. I will not confirm or deny that they I have the keys. I will only confirm that I inspected the car and started it's engine. The dealer left a message on my answering machine threatening to come by my house with the police to retrieve the keys. It really has been a nightmare, a 10 week ordeal.

I can't tell you what to do but I can say that there is no way the police are coming over to your house to retrieve the keys. I am sure they aren't getting involved and will tell him to bring a civil suit for the cost of replacing the keys. But I really wouldn't get into the argument.

I might tell the dealer I will report them to the BBB (I'm sure other complaints already), the Attorney General's office, and even contact the local news. The beauty of the Internet is that one can report an entire story (and make sure it is factually correct) online. Then let him decide whether he wants me to put him out of business immediately.

Let me ask you this - if you have a contract, why couldn't you leave with what seems to be your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back