Car Accident Personal Injury Settlement Question

greentea1

I was injured in an auto accident (other side was at fault and liability has been established on them) and retained a personal injury lawyer who works for a % of the settlement. I completed treatment and the lawyer will now start negotiating a settlement with the insurance company. As far as I understand the settlement amount will be divided 3 ways: medical bills, lawyer, me. So I have several questions:

1) Do I have the final say on whether to accept any settlement the lawyer works out with the insurance company?

2) Can I work out with the lawyer how much I will get and how much they will get from the settlement before it's paid out?

3) Can I negotiate with my lawyer for a higher share of the settlement?

I was injured in an auto accident (other side was at fault and liability has been established on them) and retained a personal injury lawyer who works for a % of the settlement. I completed treatment and the lawyer will now start negotiating a settlement with the insurance company. As far as I understand the settlement amount will be divided 3 ways: medical bills, lawyer, me. So I have several questions:

1) Do I have the final say on whether to accept any settlement the lawyer works out with the insurance company?

2) Can I work out with the lawyer how much I will get and how much they will get from the settlement before it's paid out?

3) Can I negotiate with my lawyer for a higher share of the settlement?

You should discuss all of those issues with your lawyer.

1. Yes
2. If you are on the losing end which usually you are, see 1. That said you still owe for the unpaid medical even if you refuse.
3. Not if it provides fair compensation for all. Remember it is a 3 way deal. If you screw him, you still must pay all the medical bills. He might laugh in you face knowing that.

Back