Can't afford a lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa74

My husband and I have been separated for 10 years, and I want to get a divorce so that I can change my name back to my maiden name. I don't know where my husband is, and I am positive that even if I did knew where he was, that the divorce would be not be disputed. The only problem is, I am on disability and I can't afford a lawyer...I can barely afford a roof over my head! I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on this subject.

You can contact legal aid to see if they can help. You probably qualify if all you have is disability income.

You can also call around to see if any lawyers will work pro bono. Although you cannot locate your spuse, you probably will be required to place an ad in the paper looking for him. If the divorce isnt too terribly complicated you might find an attorney to work for free.

You Can Probably Do It Yourself

As suggested, try to get a legal aid or pro bono lawyer. But, failing that, since you have been living apart for longer than two years I am thinking you can file yourself. But, I am NOT a lawyer.

My husband and I have been separated for 10 years, and I want to get a divorce so that I can change my name back to my maiden name. I don't know where my husband is, and I am positive that even if I did knew where he was, that the divorce would be not be disputed. The only problem is, I am on disability and I can't afford a lawyer...I can barely afford a roof over my head! I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back