Criminal Law Canadian Son with US record

Status
Not open for further replies.

embarassedmom

My son (God help him) has really messed up his life.
He has a felony for drug possession which he was on 5 yrs probation for, which was going good until recently.
He was with friends and drinking and driving. His probation clearly stated no drinking while on probation or he would revoke it and go to jail for 2 yrs... that is not the bad thing. He was so frightened that after they put him in handcuffs, they walked away from the police car and he fled! They found him sometime later after dogs and helicopters were sent out. NOW he is facing charges for fleeing and DUI, not to mention providing alcohol to a minor (claims he didn't know she was 20). Although he has royally messed up his life and he needs to pay for his mistakes big time, he is facing deportaion.
He is a Canadian with a green card renewal in the process (not sure if that will pass either) that has been here in the US for 12 yrs. The lawyer said he is trying to get the minor charge dropped and roll the others together. He says my son will definately spend some time in jail (hopfully there is some sort of councelling there). After that, he is trying to say that my son will leave the country on his own free will (not deported) never to return. I don't know if the prosecution will go for this- probably have to deport to make sure there is a record to keep him out of the US in the future. If this all goes down like the lawyer wants, how are the US criminal records going to affect him in Canada? Are the borders open for criminal records for general job searches?
He has made some major errors and I know the US is better off not having another criminal in their midst- but I am speaking to you as a mom who sees that he needs to pay and deserves a life after he straightens himself out.
Thankyou

embarassedmom said:
My son (God help him) has really messed up his life.
He has a felony for drug possession which he was on 5 yrs probation for, which was going good until recently.
He was with friends and drinking and driving. His probation clearly stated no drinking while on probation or he would revoke it and go to jail for 2 yrs... that is not the bad thing. He was so frightened that after they put him in handcuffs, they walked away from the police car and he fled! They found him sometime later after dogs and helicopters were sent out. NOW he is facing charges for fleeing and DUI, not to mention providing alcohol to a minor (claims he didn't know she was 20). Although he has royally messed up his life and he needs to pay for his mistakes big time, he is facing deportaion.
He is a Canadian with a green card renewal in the process (not sure if that will pass either) that has been here in the US for 12 yrs. The lawyer said he is trying to get the minor charge dropped and roll the others together. He says my son will definately spend some time in jail (hopfully there is some sort of councelling there). After that, he is trying to say that my son will leave the country on his own free will (not deported) never to return. I don't know if the prosecution will go for this- probably have to deport to make sure there is a record to keep him out of the US in the future. If this all goes down like the lawyer wants, how are the US criminal records going to affect him in Canada? Are the borders open for criminal records for general job searches?
He has made some major errors and I know the US is better off not having another criminal in their midst- but I am speaking to you as a mom who sees that he needs to pay and deserves a life after he straightens himself out.
Thankyou

Iit is difficult to get back in once you have been deported. It's hard enough to get in without it. I can tell you that it is also a very difficult task to find work sponsorship. Working in Canada isn't the worst thing. I'm sorry that his Mom may miss him being here. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back