TN Visa Canadian going to the US: For Which Visa do I apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

staceyb

I am a Canadian woman currently living in South East Asia. I am divorced with a 6-year old child (also Canadian). I am interested in pursuing a relationship with an American man. We speak daily, but have only had 2 weeks of face-face time with him. I'd like to visit him in the US, and IF we decided to get married, I would like to continue to stay in the US without having to return to my country of residence. I currently do not have a home in Canada.

Questions:
1. May I enter the US as a tourist, spend time with this man, decide to get married, actually get married and then apply within the US for documentation that would allow me to stay?

2. Or...should I apply for the immigrant spouse visa, non-immigrant spouse visa, fiancee visa? I've read that getting a fiancee visa is problematic based on the idea that the US government is worried that it would be abused. What takes the least amount of time? What are the realistic waiting times?

3. The Canadian Embassy/High Commission in my country of residence does not issue Police Certificates which I understand are required for the immigrant/nonimmigrant spouse and fiancee visas. Do I then have to go to Canada to get a certificate since I did live there for a time?

Thank you for your time.

You can travel here without a visa if you have a Canadian passport..........You can marry and do adjustment of status. Or he could come marry you where ever you are and file for you............it would take about 8-9months on average to get here......... You can qualify for a fiancée visa.......it is your call!

I don't know Canadian law...........so I can't tell if you need to go to Canada to get police papers..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back