K Visa Canadian doctoral student on F-1 visa considering marriage to an American citizen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kt321

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm a Canadian PhD student in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, entering what I hope is my last year of study towards my degree, after which I plan to teach at a university, in either Canada or the U.S.

I have been thinking of proposing to my American partner, and would like to do so, but I'm wondering what ramifications this might have on:

1) my F-1 visa, valid until August '08

2) my ability to travel outside of the U.S. over the short run - a friend in a somewhat similar situation had to change honeymoon plans as he was told that his J-1 visa sent contradictory signals as compared with his new marriage: one says 'I'm here to stay in the U.S.,' while the other say 'I'm a worker here for a defined period of time and my home is elsewhere.'

3) the upcoming job hunt if I seek to work at an American university. I don't expect this is a big issue because many fellow F-1 students get jobs without difficulties at American schools, but I want to know if there are any complexities I'm not aware of.

Thanks very much for any guidance you can provide.
Regards,
T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back