Overstay, Illegal Status Canadian applying for us green card via F4.(sibling)

Jaymaster88

I am Canadian living in USA currently. Trying to apply for us green card here in USA through F4. My priority date is aug 2002 therefore i have
to apply within a year. I have hired a lawyer for processing. Problem is that i have worked in USA for a few years illegally, even filed taxes back in 2007.(but never files taxes after 2007). i have a us driver license, lease is on my name etc. my lawyer is telling me that because of i am Canadian, these matters should not be problems. But my past history of unlawful work can be a problem at the interview depends on USCIS interviewer. He is saying that chances are 50 / 50. By the way I recently went to Canada and came back to USA with I-94 cause I want to apply here in USA. Today, my lawyer called me saying that he did a research found out that if i apply and have interview in Canada (Montreal), i should not have problems with my unlawful work history. He is saying that there is a different law to apply if i process in Canada.
Please advise me if it is true.
Thanks

I am Canadian living in USA currently. Trying to apply for us green card here in USA through F4. My priority date is aug 2002 therefore i have
to apply within a year. I have hired a lawyer for processing. Problem is that i have worked in USA for a few years illegally, even filed taxes back in 2007.(but never files taxes after 2007). i have a us driver license, lease is on my name etc. my lawyer is telling me that because of i am Canadian, these matters should not be problems. But my past history of unlawful work can be a problem at the interview depends on USCIS interviewer. He is saying that chances are 50 / 50. By the way I recently went to Canada and came back to USA with I-94 cause I want to apply here in USA. Today, my lawyer called me saying that he did a research found out that if i apply and have interview in Canada (Montreal), i should not have problems with my unlawful work history. He is saying that there is a different law to apply if i process in Canada.
Please advise me if it is true.
Thanks

I can't tell you with certainty if your lawyer is telling you the truth.
I do know that a Canadian citizen in your situation can apply for a US Green Card in Canada.
Your illicit work activities and failure to pay taxes might be a problem no matter where you apply.
If I were you, and I trusted my lawyer, I'd heed his or her advice.

Back