1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Canadian applying for us green card via F4.(sibling) Overstay, Illegal Status

Discussion in 'Immigration Issues' started by Jaymaster88, Jul 13, 2015.

  1. Jaymaster88

    Jaymaster88 Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I am Canadian living in USA currently. Trying to apply for us green card here in USA through F4. My priority date is aug 2002 therefore i have
    to apply within a year. I have hired a lawyer for processing. Problem is that i have worked in USA for a few years illegally, even filed taxes back in 2007.(but never files taxes after 2007). i have a us driver license, lease is on my name etc. my lawyer is telling me that because of i am Canadian, these matters should not be problems. But my past history of unlawful work can be a problem at the interview depends on USCIS interviewer. He is saying that chances are 50 / 50. By the way I recently went to Canada and came back to USA with I-94 cause I want to apply here in USA. Today, my lawyer called me saying that he did a research found out that if i apply and have interview in Canada (Montreal), i should not have problems with my unlawful work history. He is saying that there is a different law to apply if i process in Canada.
    Please advise me if it is true.
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I can't tell you with certainty if your lawyer is telling you the truth.
    I do know that a Canadian citizen in your situation can apply for a US Green Card in Canada.
    Your illicit work activities and failure to pay taxes might be a problem no matter where you apply.
    If I were you, and I trusted my lawyer, I'd heed his or her advice.

Share This Page