Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft can you get arrested for attempting to steal

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestpost

my friends bought some clothes from a store and after went back to look at more clothes. then they put clothing in the bag full of already bought clothing. on their way out the alarm went off and were called back to the front. the front lady looked through the bag and saw clothing not bought and went to get a manager. when they left my friend walked out. they bought the original clothing with a credit card so they can look up their information. although they tried to steal they never did..can he get arrested or charged?

Google ATTEMPTED THEFT, ATTEMPTED MURDER, ATTEMPTED SHOPLIFTING, ATTEMPTED ANYTHING. Yes, yes he could be charged and subsequently arrested, ASSUMING he can be identified.

Lay low, stay outta sight, STOP BREAKING ALL LAWS!

Life is so much easier when you don't break their laws!!!!

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Since the only reason he didn't steal is that he was caught in the act attempting to do so, hell yes he can be arrested and charged. What's wrong with you that you can even ask that question?

Good grief.

If he does get arrested, he will want to get a lawyer.

I work in the retail theft field and consult for both retailer and accused shoplifters. Most retailers use a system of "must" to stop or charge someone with theft both internal and external. Since they got items back its unlikely they would take the time to investigate this in hopes they find evidence enough to file a case. The time to stop your friend was at the time they had him there. Where its possible they could research this and file a case its not likely. Your friend should stay out of store though

Just want to be sure, though, that shrinkmaster's post is not interpreted to mean that they CANNOT prosecute him unless they catch him in the store, which is absolutely not the case. They can. Whether they will or not is up to them.

I would think this part of my reply "Where its possible they could research this and file a case its not likely" would have told them that but who knows lol

LOL, thanks to parking lot cameras they already have the name of the criminal and license plate/store video confirmation of the acts. Keep wondering who will be knocking on your door.

Just a note- this was not an attempted theft. The theft was already complete. It is not whether or not you get out the door with the merchandise that matters, but your intent at the time you take the property.
It could also be charged as more than petty theft depending on the wording of the burglary statute.

Let's just say the bottom line is it is "possible" for him to be arrested & charged. We are not saying he will be & we don't know if he will be.

Just tell all your pals and amigos to stop stealing.

If you don't steal, you won't have to worry about being arrested. Walk the straight and narrow, don't break any laws. It's easy, millions of people do it.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back