Computer Crimes, Hacking Can You Be Arrested For Arguing With a Person Over A Dating App?

twill0906

I recently started using a dating app where I came across a cute girl who I wanted to talk to. I said to her "Heyy" and over an hour later I was able to see that she read it but she did not respond back. Then, out of obvious anger, I wrote back, something along the lines of, "You know, it is very immature to just ignore someone like that, the least you could do is say no thanks." After this she started arguing with me, calling me stupid and making illogical statements about me and some other issue that had nothing to do with our current argument. My argument, the entire time, was mentioning how her rebuttals had nothing to do with the issue at hand;, I obviously wanted to actual talk with her and be able to come to a conclusion, unfortunately she did not know how to do that. Basically, my entire argument was academic while hers was childish; attacking me instead of the issue (ad hominem, you might say). Finally, towards the end she threatened to call the police on me- for arguing with her? She mentioned how she had "connects" possibly referring to her father or a friends father, and how she has already had people arrested from the app (I'm assuming for saying sexually explicit things), however I never said anything of any sexual nature. I ended up blocking and reporting her for these unnecessary threats. So I ask you, were these legitimate or false threats? The situation was dissolved and she told me that if I walked away she wouldn't do anything (I walked away). I understand how this question may seem childish [very childish], however, I have a long life ahead of me, and I would like to be safe knowing the legal boundaries of online dating apps. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
-twill0906

Last edited:
If she didn't reply to your first contact, I would have assumed she wasn't interested & let it go at that. Why get in an argument with her for not replying? There is no way for us to know if she would have called the police or not. All you can do is just don't have any more contact with her.

As you describe it, no, there is no legal trouble ahead. However, with that kind of behavior you likely won't have many days in the near future either.

WOW, all I can say is that both of you should grow thicker skin and learn to ignore others.
Had you ignored her, she wouldn't have been able to sustain an argument alone.
I give you credit for blocking her, that was your smartest move.

One of the first things to learn about dating apps is that not everyone you contact will respond to you. She was within her rights to ignore you - you were out of line to try to force the issue.

Did you really think she was suddenly going to become interested after you escalated the matter? Seriously? Dude, stay away from apps if every non-response is going to be met with unjustified anger and lashing out. This girl dodged a bullet. I'd hate to think how upset you would get over a cancelled date or missed phone call.

Thanks for the answers. I'd just like to clarify, that is the only time I've ever called out on a girl for not answering. I just felt it necessary since I was in my "emotionless mode" really late at night and didn't care. If the same thing were to happen now I would ignore, however, I felt it to be out of line for her to threaten to call the police on me just for getting into an argument with her. I would never, and have never, done anything like that to a girl before and I don't plan on it to happen in the future.
Again, thanks!

She may or may not have been out of line to threaten you with the police. Without seeing exactly what you said and how it came across I'm not going to make that call. You, however, were definitely out of line to contact her again when she failed to respond initially.

Back