Can we the people sue BP for environmental damages in federal court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee1

I feel that the people of the United States should bring a case against BP (British Petroleum).The damages paid should be used to set up an organization to oversee the protection and repair of the environment. Would this be a class action lawsuit? How would I go about petitioning for such a case to be brought against this company in federal or sumpreme courts? Is a petition even neccesary? What type of Lawyer would Handle such a case?

I feel that the people of the United States should bring a case against BP (British Petroleum).The damages paid should be used to set up an organization to oversee the protection and repair of the environment. Would this be a class action lawsuit? How would I go about petitioning for such a case to be brought against this company in federal or sumpreme courts? Is a petition even neccesary? What type of Lawyer would Handle such a case?

Sure, anyone can sue anyone else.
You won't win in this case.
You have no standing.
Most likely, if such a case were to be brought, BP'S lawyers would move to have it summarily dismissed.
If such a case were to be brought, it would be initiated in a federal district court.
Such litigation is never brought before the US Supreme Court.
The US Supreme Court is NOT a court of original jurisdiction.

Existing laws already penalize BP quite heavily. There would be no need for such a lawsuit since the matter is already being handled. How well it is being handled is another question... but bp is bleeding money right now, and that money will go toward the cleanup efforts.

Be very careful when you start believing that you speak for everyone.... after all, do you want everyone speaking for you?

"We the people", aka The federal government, very well may do so. The case will be known as "The United States of America v British Petroleum".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back