Can they make you work over 8 hours

How can you get fired if you did 8hours can they ask you to stay it's up to you.

Because employers are free to fire for pretty much if they feel like it.

And just so you are clear, you could work the requested hours with a smile on your face and they could still fire you.

There isn't any law that limits your work day to 8 hours, and mandatory overtime is legal in all 50 states. So while nothing in the law says you can't say no, nothing in the law says you can't be fired for it, either.

Well certainly that is true in Florida. It's not universally true in all states. California, for example, allows employees to refuse to work in excess of 72 hours a week without repercussion.

Yes. It is true that California (and Maine also) limit the number of hours of mandatory overtime. However, even in California and Maine, an employee who is asked to work over 8 hours and refuses to do so can be fired. And since this poster is in Florida, it doesn't matter a whit what California limits are.

Right, but you were the one who introduced the non-sequitur of what the other 49 states do, so there's no point in me getting snitty about me correcting that.

Right, but you were the one who introduced the non-sequitur of what the other 49 states do, so there's no point in me getting snitty about me correcting that.

What correction? She was accurate with what was literally said. You added additional information, but nothing that contradicted what she said.

Can they make you work over 8 hours

I suppose it depends on who "they" are.

No one can legally force you to work at all. After all, slavery and involuntary servitude were constitutionally abolished over 150 years ago.

However, if your employer wants you to work (regardless of the period of time) and you refuse, you can legally be fired (unless you're a member of a labor union that has a collective bargaining agreement with your employer and that CBA prohibits what the employer requests).

Back