Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Can the police obtain a subpoena or warrant based on these text messages?

patrick720

Jurisdiction
California
I received a random text from an unknown phone number that I have never seen before trying to sell me drugs. This is the conversation that I actually had from that random phone number:

Him: Hey

Me: Yes, who is this?

Him: Can i sell you 5 OxyContin for $50?

Me: No and opiates kill people and ruin lives. Drug dealers like you ruin people's lives.

Him: I'm not a drug dealer, i just happen to have these on me and I wanted to see if you want them

Me: Yeah right! I'm reporting you to the Police Department.

Him: Please don't report me to the Police. If you don't want them then fine.

Also, does this conversation make it likely that the Local Police would look into this? In your opinion, what are the odds that they would investigate this?

Not sure I see a point to your questions. Whatever anyone here says is meaningless. If you want to know if your local police will investigate, call and ask.

My question is, is this text exchange probable cause to get a warrant for his phone/text records?

Do you know that 10 year olds can "spoof" telephone numbers and send "doctored" text messages to make the receiver believe IMPOTENT peepulls done send them such messages?

Them smart 10 year olds and even dumber 30 year olds can make peepulls beleive the messages are coming from Barack Obama, Donald Trump, Snoop Doggie, Cardi B, Hillary Clinton, Queen Elizabeth, etc!

Do you know that 10 year olds can "spoof" telephone numbers and send "doctored" text messages to make the receiver believe IMPOTENT peepulls done send them such messages?

Them smart 10 year olds and even dumber 30 year olds can make peepulls beleive the messages are coming from Barack Obama, Donald Trump, Snoop Doggie, Cardi B, Hillary Clinton, Queen Elizabeth, etc!
What's your point?

Sounds like a homework question.

Possibly, or even if the incident occurred as recited above, all the more reason to BLOCK anyone NOT in your contacts list.

That is what I do for calls and texts, which means I only receive texts from trusted, known to me, associates, colleagues, relatives, and close friends.

Only YOU can prevent others from ensnaring you in schemes, scams, frauds, fakes, games, cons, and a myriad of other unsavory things.

You mean the text I got from Queen Elizabeth asking me to perform at Albert Hall was a fake. Oh my. :D

You mean the text I got from Queen Elizabeth asking me to perform at Albert Hall was a fake. Oh my. :D

Unfortunately, there is no royal command performance.

I hope you didn't get one from that Nigerian prince trying to get rid of that $50,000,000 for almost 40 years. :D

If you're trying to be noble and believe that reporting the text message to the police will assist in the capture of drug dealers, I commend you. Contact the police and they will likely tell you their thoughts about what they can and will do. As mentioned above, given how easy it is to spoof telephone numbers, the difficulties of spanning jurisdictions and the question of whether the crime is worth the cost of the police inquiry and investigation, this may be a rabbit hole which police believe may be low priority. I don't know but you can ask them.

Back