Can the city make me pay to switch from septic to sewer?

S

sushifoot

Jurisdiction
Florida
The entire street I live on uses septic tanks and the city is making us pay thousands of dollars out of pocket to switch to the city sewer system. Is this legal. Aren't upgrades like this covered by the taxes I already pay to own this house here? How can they make me pay thousands upon thousands of dollars for something I neither want nor need? Apparently they can put a lien on my house and all kinds of other legal actions if I do not comply with their extortion of my money to pay to upgrade the area I my house happens to be situated in... How is this legal and do I have any recourse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I suggest you inquire of your elected city leaders.
You might also ask your city building department.
I have seen similar situations where those refusing to do as the big bosses dictate, being forced to pay for the charges the big bosses incur by ordering the work done by the friends and associates of the big bosses.
Proceed cautiously, acquire knowledge before rebuffing the big bosses.

Otherwise, big bosses have been known to crush those who resist.

Can't make any helpful comments if you don't tell us the whole story. How did all this come about? What city are you talking about? Did somebody from the city knock on your door and say "Connect to the sewer or else" and then turn around and walk away? Or did you get a letter demanding that you do this, presumably a letter the cited an authority under which the city is demanding this? If that's the case quote us the letter word for word. If not, then explain all the contacts and conversations you have had with a city official about the demand and have you asked for a written explanation of under what authority they demand this?

Back