Can taxes be charged twice based on language in contract?

goofy78270

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I recently received a contract in which the price is detailed in one section as follows:

Monthly due = $21.98
Tax = $1.76
Total = $23.74

However, later in the contract within the promissory note verbiage, the following exists:

For Value received, i/We, or any of us Promise to Pay to the Order of xxx or its assignees the amount of $23.74 / month (plus applicable sales tax), due on the x day of each month beginning xx, xxxx, (month, year). Following the initial 1 (one) month membership term, my/our membership agreement will automatically renew on a month-to-month basis at a monthly rate of $23.74 plus applicable sales tax until a written 1 (one) month cancellation notice is received by xxx at the address noted below.

Just looking to clarify...Can the company really charge me tax on the $23.74 fee that was detailed to already include the tax?

The only possibility is if the 1.76 is not sales tax but some other type of tax. Call them and ask them to explain. Go to the source.

The only possibility is if the 1.76 is not sales tax but some other type of tax. Call them and ask them to explain. Go to the source.

Anytime I disagree with any charge, suspect a charge, or dislike any charge; I simply cancel the contract.

It may cost me a month or two to do so, but why pay for anything you believe to be too costly, or unfair.

Back