Can Public Sector managers lie to retain my services?

CoachEric

Jurisdiction
New York
Background:
1. Public School teaching applications require three letters of reference in the past three years, meaning that the importance of obtaining one per year cannot be overstated for professional educators working as substitutes while seeking full-time positions.
2. In the politically sensitive and workload intensive (e.g.: curriculum, discipline, union, scheduling, operations, policy, athletics, evaluations) life of a school administrator, any real or fabricated complaint of an at-will employee justifies their immediate dismissal.

COMPLAINT:
I began working for the Honeoye Falls - Lima School District high school as an at-will substitute employee in the 2015-16 school year. By the end of my first week, student feedback was inordinately complementary and teachers were requesting me. At the beginning of the 2016-17 school year, I discovered I had been dismissed from the high school and was only eligible to work at the middle school, because of a complaint from a teacher. After about a month of building a reputation, I asked the middle school Principal for an observation. He refused, citing that as a physics teacher, I needed to create and present a high school physics lesson for an appropriate observation and letter of reference. He advised me to simply request reinstatement from the District Human Resources Director.

I obtained a meeting with the HR Director, who had no objections to my reinstatement at the high school. She informed me that I only needed approval from the HS Principal.

I met with the HS Principal, who gave his approval for my return to the high school. He informed me that I needed to briefly meet with the HR Director again to finalize it.

From this point onward, the HR Director was busy, cancelled, put me off, or otherwise was unable to meet with me, although I would typically visit the HR Director's Office every day after work hoping to obtain this brief meeting. This continued for the remainder of the school year.

At the beginning of the 2017-18 school year, after substituting at the middle school and visiting the HR Director, she met with me and informed me that I would not be permitted to return to the high school.

Although I had requested it, at no time was any observation or evaluation done regarding my performance to justify such a delayed decision or reconsideration.

My contention is that Public Sector managers/administrators are not permitted by law to mislead and lie to their employees to secure their services (for an entire year!), especially when the impact of their actions is detrimental to the career of the employee. There must be some obligation to inform the employee of their decision in a timely manner. Because the school district utilized my services for more than an entire school year, most of which was under the false pretense of reinstatment, (I would have immediately stopped working at that district were I not permitted to return to the high school), it appears obvious that because no observation or report on me led to the reconsideration of where I could work- the decision was made long before it was communicated to me, and withheld to procure my continued services. Additionally, the Middle School Principal informed me that neither the HS Principal nor the HR Director had asked about my performance during the 2017-18 school year, or at all during the 2016-17 school year, further indicating the decision had been made prior and withheld from me.

There is no provable compensatory damage, although it should be noted that substitute teacher pay is less than the poverty line minimum for my family. My damages are in the opportunity cost of wasting time at this district instead of building relationships at other districts in preparation for the seasonal hiring cycle, automotive depreciation from the inordinately long drive to that district, and in the loss of an entire year working without the opportunity to obtain another critical letter of reference.

PLEASE ADVISE OR HELP!
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Eric

Unless you really like having your phone inundated with calls from scammers, I suggest removing your name and phone number from your post.

The Reader's Digest version of the story seems to be that you were employed as a substitute teacher for several years. During the course of that employment, you requested to be given an observation (unusual for a sub to be given a formal observation but a limited one could be done I suppose). The Principal from whom you made the request declined. You then requested one from a different Principal, at a school where you had been blocked from assignment based on some kind of complaint in the past. That Principal agreed but stated you needed to be cleared by HR to again be assigned to that school first. You were not reassigned to the HS.

I lost you as to why you were owed reinstatement to the HS and or why you feel that you were lied to. You were employed as a substitute, and worked as a substitute. No one "owed" you assignment at the school of your choice, regardless of the reason you wanted to be assigned there. You were free at any time to leave.

Unless there is a policy stating such (which would surprise me), subtitutes are not owed a formal observation as might be done for a classroom (tenured or tenure track) teacher. I can't imagine that such an observation is actually required to secure a position as a classroom teacher, nor that an observation of one class on one day would carry much weight. References, yes. References from those who have known you or had contact with you in the past 3 years, yes. Recommendations from any student teaching you did while obtaining your education degree, absolutely. Reference from a Principal where you had taught as a substitute, meh- not useless, but not a deal maker or breaker. Observation of one lesson plan, for one class while working as a substitute, the least useful of all. If you were a long term sub and creating all your own lesson plans in line with the curriculum, and with ongoing responsibilities for classroom management and grading, perhaps this would carry more weight.

If you were showing up daily without an appointment, I can completely understand why the HRD would not meet with you. That is not only rude and unprofessional, but downright scary behavior.

I've been a sub, one of my degrees is in education, and I have worked in the education sector much of my career, including for a school system handling legal compliance. I'm not seeing anything the least bit actionable here.

Back